Rate your residency: The Collegian scores apartment complexes in Fort Collins

As a college student, finding a place to call your own may be stressful at first.

The Collegian scored five different student apartments around Fort Collins on a scale of 1 to 10 using four factors: distance and location, amenities, rate of a four-bedroom unit and newness factor.

Three categories went into the distance and location scoring: distance from campus limits, downtown and Hughes Stadium.

The apartment complex closest to each location was given 10 points; the second closest apartment was given nine points, etc. Those three categories were averaged and received an overall score for that factor.

Amenities were scored based on ten different features: pool, hot tub, gym, parking lot, parking garage, pets, Wi-Fi, computer lab, individual leasing and bus stop. A point was given for each amenity.

Three complexes offer four-bedroom and four-bathroom units—the cheapest of those received the highest score. The remaining two complexes only offered four-bedroom, two-bathroom units and were scored against each other.

Newness rating is based upon when the original building was constructed. The newest building was given a 10, while the second newest was given a nine, and so on.

Information for CSU students looking into off-campus housing can be found here.

The District at Campus West: 9.25/10

The District at Campus West is just a short walk west of campus. This complex opened in August.
The District at Campus West is just a short walk west of campus. This complex opened in August. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Distance and Location: 9/10

Located 0.1 mile from west campus limits, The District is closest to campus, second in distance to Old Town Fort Collins and third in distance to Hughes Stadium.

Amenities: 9/10

The outdoor activity space here means that students can socialize at the pool anytime they please. The only thing that The District does not accommodate for is pets.

Rates: 9/10

A 4-bedroom, 4-bathroom unit starts at $615 per month.

Newness: 10/10

The District opened in August 2014.

The Summit on College: 8.58/10

The Summit on College has two buildings located just east of the MAX Transit line.
The Summit on College has two buildings located just east of the MAX Transit line. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Distance and Location:  8.3/10

The Summit on College is tied for second closest to campus at 0.2 mile from south campus limits, first in distance to Old Town Fort Collins and the farthest complex away from Hughes Stadium.

Amenities: 7/10

If students prefer the putting green than the hot tub, this is the place for them. A parking pass is required for the Summit’s lots as well.

Rates: 10/10

Rent for a 4-bedroom, 4-bathroom unit is $560 per month—the cheapest of the complexes to offer this bedroom to bathroom ratio.

Newness: 9/10

The Summit opened in August 2013.

Ram’s Village: 8.17/10

Ram's Village is one of the most popular student apartment complexes. The convenient location makes it appealing.
Ram’s Village is one of the most popular student apartment complexes. The convenient location makes it appealing. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Distance and Location: 8.67/10

Ram’s Village is tied in distance from campus at 0.2 mile from west campus limits. It is third in distance to Old Town Fort Collins and second in distance to Hughes Stadium.

Amenities: 8/10

The security at Ram’s Village may be helpful and polite, but if residents are caught with a pet, each roommate is charged a fee.

Rates: 10/10

Ram’s Village is the most affordable of these student apartment complexes considering a 4-bedroom, 2.5-bathroom unit is $490 per month.

Newness: 6/10

Ram’s Village was built in 1989, and has since been remodeled.

Campus Crossings At Ram’s Pointe: 8/10

Campus Crossings at Ram's Pointe is west of campus on Elizabeth St. These apartments are close to Hughes Stadium.
Campus Crossings at Ram’s Pointe is west of campus on Elizabeth St. These apartments are close to Hughes Stadium. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Distance and Location: 8/10

This apartment complex is the farthest away from campus at 1.5 miles west of campus limits, farthest away from Old Town Fort Collins and closest to Hughes Stadium.

Amenities: 8/10

Ram’s Pointe is not pet-friendly, but 24-hour access to the computer lab and free printing could be an advantage.

Rates: 9/10

A 4-bedroom, 2 bathroom unit is $515 per month.

Newness: 7/10

Campus Crossings was built in 1996.

The Grove: 7.79/10

The Grove is just south of campus and was built in 2013.
The Grove is just south of campus and was built in 2013. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Distance and Location: 7.67/10

The Grove is third in distance to campus at .9 mile from south campus limits, third in distance to Old Town Fort Collins and second in distance to Hughes Stadium.

Amenities: 6/10

The lack of a computer lab and hot tub may be an inconvenience.

Rates: 8.5/10

A 4-bedroom, 4-bathroom unit starts at $630 per month.

Newness: 9/10

The Grove was built in 2013.

Collegian Reporter Christina Vessa can be reached online at news@collegian.com and on Twitter at @chrissyvessa.