7 Netflix titles to binge this summer

Every month, Netflix adds dozens of titles to their catalog of classic and contemporary films. From comedies to documentaries, there are many new and existing titles that are perfect for a backyard “glamp-out” or a rainy night in.

Here are seven shows and films on Netflix worth watching this summer. 

1. “Caddyshack” 

Netflix has no shortage of classic movies. With titles like “Pulp Fiction” and “The Shining,” they really come through with all the films you’d expect in an art school film class syllabus. To beef up their comedy collection, the 1980 classic “Caddyshack” will be available to stream starting July 2. This star-studded flick sees its cast of “Saturday Night Live” vets and comedy legends combating a loud, destructive and downright brash newcomer played by Rodney Dangerfield as he cuts a path through the exclusive Bushwood Country Club. 

2. “Stranger Things” Season 3

Ross and Matt Duffer’s instant classic “Stranger Things” returns for its third season July 4. The story follows Mike Wheeler, played by Finn Wolfhard, and his friends as they prepare to enter their freshman year of high school. In the months leading up to the new school year, trouble returns as the third and final trailer reveals that the Mind Flayer is back and has taken host in antagonist Billy Hargrove, played by Dacre Montgomery. 

3. “The Babysitter”

Netflix has proven itself a titan in streaming with its diverse array of original films. This is definitely the case with the 2018 horror movie “The Babysitter.” The film stars Samara Weaving as Bee, the attractive older babysitter to young teen Cole, played by Judah Lewis. With his parents out of town for the weekend, Cole and Bee have the house to themselves, but not everything is as it seems, especially after you go to sleep. With its campy dialogue and classic “slasher-film” aesthetics, “The Babysitter is the perfect cheesy horror film for a night in. 

4.  “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”

This 1975 classic, written, directed by and starring the famous Monty Python comedy troupe, is perhaps the most quoted film of all time. The film follows King Arthur, played by Graham Chapman, and his loyal sidekick Patsy (Terry Gilliam) as they travel through the British Isles in search of the coveted Holy Grail. A truly timeless film, “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” is filled with absurd humor and songs and is the perfect film for the family or a first date.

5.  “Inglorious Basterds” 

Quentin Tarantino films are a mainstay in Netflix’s catalog, with both “Pulp Fiction” and “Reservoir Dogs” available for streaming for years. This July, Tarantino’s classic World War II era film, “Inglorious Basterds,” finally takes its seat at the big kids table. Centered around a group of rogue Jewish U.S. soldiers led by Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt), the team develops a plan to assassinate Nazi leaders in the months following their occupation of France in 1941. This black comedy is a cult favorite and a worthy addition to Netflix’s catalog. 

6. “Black Mirror” Season 5 

“Black Mirror” was an instant hit from the minute its first season hit Netflix in December 2014. Its first three episodes captured viewers and left them wanting more. Now in its fifth season, the haunting, dystopian thriller still reigns as one of the most poignant and introspective television shows currently available. With acting performances by Miley Cyrus and music written by industrial heavyweight Trent Reznor, “Black Mirror” season five stands to be every bit as eerie and unnerving as it ever has been. 

7. “Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse”

The groundbreaking animated film that brings the classic Spiderman canon to life, “Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse,” just dropped on Netflix June 26. After receiving a whopping 97% on Rotten Tomatoes and winning Best Animated Feature Film at the 2019 Golden Globe Awards, “Into the Spiderverse” marks Netflix’s ambitions to reign in some of the best films ever made. 

With the amount of content available for streaming on Netflix, there’s something for everyone. There are nearly endless amounts of movies, TV shows and documentaries at your fingertips. All titles on Netflix are available 24/7 via your smart TV, or through the Netflix app on your phone or tablet. Happy streaming!

Matt Campbell can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @mcampnh.