April Concert Guide

APRIL has a little something for everyone this year. From rock shows, to dubstep, and Focomxeven music festivals the only thing missing from this month is another Arron Carter show. Seriously go check out some music this month.

MUST SEE – FoCoMX – April 19, 20 – Fort Collins, CO

Now in it’s fifth year, FoCoMX is probably one of the coolest local music festivals in the country. Featuring over 240 local bands at more than 20 local venues, FoCoMX packs the weekend full of great local music. Tickets for the festival only cost $20 if you buy them here before the 8th. (After they cost $30) This gets you unlimited access to each venue for the entire weekend and trust me it is worth it. A few notable bands playing this year are Fierce Bad Rabbit, In The Whale, Danielle Ate the Sandwich, Dead Floyd and many others (including me!) You can see the whole festival lineup here.

ROCK SHOW – Band of Horses – April 8, Ogden Theatre 

This Seattle rock group has been touring all over the country recently including hitting Red Rocks last summer with rock legends My Morning Jacket. If you were at this show then you know this is not something you want to miss. The band was nominated for a grammy back in 2010 and many of you have probably heard their song, The Funeral, featured in movies and commercials. If this show is even half as good as their concert this summer it will have been worth attending. Here is a video of them from Pinkpop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7ikIsvznA

ELECTRONIC – RUSKO – April 13, Ogden Theatre

Though I’m not huge on dubstep and I’ve never seen him live, from what I hear he puts on a really good show. Plus all of those lasers in such small venue can’t be a bad thing right? You can check out some of his live videos here.

SHOWS I’M EXCITED FOR – ALT J – April 23, Bluebird Theater

If you are lucky enough to have tickets to this show, you are in for a treat. This english indie band has exploded on the scene after their debut album, An Awesome Wave, was released last year. The show has been sold out for months but you can still find tickets and I highly recommend that you do. These guys mix they’re grovy and trancey sound to put on a really entertaining show that will keep you swaying the whole night. It also helps that one of my favorite LA bands, Wildcat Wildcat, is opening for them. (If you like bands such as Passion Pit or Portugal. The Man you should really check them out.) Here’s Alt J at a recent show in Seattle.

Polica with Night Moves – April 22, Bluebird Theater

The Minneapolis-based, indie trio, Night Moves, just recently began to gain some recognition after signing with Domino records and releasing their debut album, Colored Emotions. These guys mix phased guitars with spacey synths and falsetto to create a very mellow yet driving sound. I originally bought tickets to this show purely to see Night Moves, and had no intention of staying after their set. That was before I saw Polica absolutely kill it at Snowball a few weeks ago. They are definitely worth sticking around for. Check out Night Moves playing a live radio show back in August.

OTHER SHOWS

April 4 – The Air Borne Toxic Event, Ogden Theatre

April 10 – Bad Religion, Fillmore Auditorium

April 16 – Bon Jovi, Pepsi Center (I don’t know about this one, he’s getting a bit old)

April 18 – Lucero, Bluebird Theater

April 20 – Machine Gun Kelly, Ogden Theatre

April 23 – NeedToBreathe, Ogden Theatre