Australia Abroad: Home and housemates

In my first blog post, you might recall that I talked a little bit about my housemates. Since I have lived in a house with all of them for close to four months now, I thought I could write about the experience I have had in Unit 90. 

The girl in front and the guy in back are my other roommates (Photo Courtesy Michelle Buser)

I can honestly say I am so humbled by my living experience here. When I first arrived I felt like this house was never really going to feel like home to me, but I have grown to really appreciate my little room, and all the people that I am surrounded by. I was really nervous to know that I was going to be living in a house with six totally random people. I had no contact with any one of my housemates before I arrived. 

My little house (Photo Courtesy Michelle Buser)

All my housemates are from completely different places; They come from Holland, South Korea, Boston, Indonesia, Texas and then of course I came from Colorado. You are probably wondering how six people from six different backgrounds could peacefully live together. I do not know how we have done it, but we have all gotten along up until this point. Of course we have a couple of misunderstandings along the way, but that is to be expected. I may be a little biased, but I think I ended up with some of the best people possible. 

Two roommates are on the far left (Photo Courtesy Michelle Buser)

I think my biggest piece of advice for anyone who is about to live abroad with people they do not know is to first establish what kind of relationship you are going to have. Don’t expect to be best friends with all of your housemates, but create an atmosphere where everyone can be open with one another. We may not all hang out with one another all the time, but some of my best memories are when we all ended up sitting at the dining room table having different conversations about life. 

Sorry that I don’t have any roommate horror stories to tell. 

Cheers. 

Collegian Australia Abroad Blogger Michelle Buser can be reached online at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter @buser_Michelle.