Nightlife: Date night ideas for your summer fling

Ever since November, warm weather has been long gone and almost like a distant memory. Many of us have forgotten what it felt like to step outside of our homes without looking like a human marshmallow. Walking to a nearby party? Forget it. We would rather spend the extra $10 taking Uber there and back. However, it is now almost May and the warm weather we have dearly missed and longed for is finally here, and here to stay.

Hopefully.

Not only does this warmer weather change the entire vibe and atmosphere of Colorado State University and Fort Collins in general, but it also adds to the list of things to do during the day, at night and more specifically, on a date night. You can check out Eventbrite to find some local events or even use their event management page to create an event of your own.

It is time to ditch the Netflix and Chill, ladies and gents. With this warm weather and summer nights quickly approaching, you should no longer hibernate inside with your date. Below is a list of creative date ideas that are perfect for a summer date night.

1. Drive-In Movie

Photo by: Randi Mattox
Photo by: Randi Mattox

Let’s throw it back to the 1950’s because as of April 15, the Holiday Twin Drive-In movie theater is officially open. Pick up your date, some popcorn and pillows and blankets, and head to the drive-in movie theater instead of a regular theater. A drive-in movie theater has its extra perks because you can control the volume of the movie through your radio, talk as loud as you would like in your car, use your phone without getting a lot of passive aggressive glares and grunts, and even watch the movie from the trunk of your car.

1. Stargazing

Night_Sky_Stars_Trees_02
(Collegian file photo)

Stargazing is a great end to a date night. Horsetooth and even a few grassy spots on campus are perfect for some late-night stargazing. Lay out a few blankets, enjoy the night sky and who knows what will happen next…

1. Sunset picnic

Romantic_sunset
(Collegian file photo)

City Park and Horsetooth are both great areas for a sunset picnic. If you really want to impress your date, make his/her favorite food or snack, grab a comfy blanket and head to a peaceful area to sit out and watch the sunset. Cheesy I know, but you’d be surprised how many people are still into the classic dates.

1. Spontaneous weekend getaway

With summer closing in fast, couples are headed outdoors for their dates. Horsetooth Reservoir is a popular place to enjoy the sun, the water, the mountains, and the stars all in one day.

Take him/her out on an overnight camping trip. Barbecue, bonfires and smores calls for a perfect weekend date. This may not be the best idea for a first date, but is a great idea for any date afterwards. For some recommended camping sites, click here.  

Collegian Nightlife Blogger Amanda Thompson can be reached at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter @amanduhh3003.