Colorado State women’s basketball set for Boise State series

Photo illustration show an image of both male and female basketball players with the text "In the Paint, Collegian Basketball Coverage"
(Graphic Illustration by Colin Crawford | The Collegian)

Colorado State women’s basketball is back on the road to face familiar foe Boise State University this week.

The Rams, 10-2, are poised to take on the Broncos, 8-3, after sweeping the Utah State University Aggies on Jan. 20 and 22. The Broncos dropped their last series against the California State University, Fresno Bulldogs. 

The Broncos have been getting the job done on their home court, but the Rams have a winning record on the road, setting the stage for a fiery two-game series.”

CSU will have no easy task defeating Boise State on the road — the Broncos have won all seven of their home games. However, the Rams have a winning record on the road of 3-2, defeating Fresno State, the University of Denver and University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Here are three things to look for in the two-game series:

Tori Williams’ Momentum

In the 88-73 victory over the Aggies, Tori Williams posted a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Coach Ryun Williams spoke with high praise about Tori Williams after the victory.

“She thinks that I think that she’s just a good shooter, not a good basketball player,” Ryun Williams said after the sweep of USU. “Tori (Williams) is a really, really good basketball player. She anchors our defense; we ask her to do a lot defensively. She rebounded the ball great both games, and then we ask her to make shots.”

Tori Williams is tied for second on the Rams for scoring, averaging 13.8 per game. She is also second on the team with 3.1 assists per game and she grabbed a team-high six steals on Friday.

The Rams Backcourt

It is no secret that Lore Devos is dominant in the game of basketball. Devos leads the Rams in average points per game, total points, rebounds per game, total rebounds and blocks. Devos’ ability to run the stat sheet is uncanny and the guard pairing of Devos and Tori Williams is proving lethal against opponents from the Mountain West Conference.

Together, the two guards dominate both ends of the floor. Tori Williams and Devos lead the team in steals and total rebounds. 

Boise State’s Jade Loville

In 11 games, Loville has proved to be the best and most reliable scorer on the Broncos, leading the team with an average of 15.9 points per game. The next closest scorer for the Broncos is Mallory McGwire, who is averaging 12.7 points per game. 

Loville leads the team in field goals made per game, field goals attempted per game and total field goals made. The Broncos’ guard is clearly the center point of the Boise offense and will be one the Rams have to contain in order to come away with the win. 

CSU vs. BSU is set to be a tough matchup for both teams. The Broncos have been getting the job done on their home court, but the Rams have a winning record on the road, setting the stage for a fiery two-game series. 

Tyler Meguire can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TMeguire.