Addazio still faces 5 vacancies with 2020 recruiting class

The National Collegiate Athletic Association signing period commenced this previous Wednesday. Collegiate teams around the nation can now freely sign binding letters of intent from current high-school seniors.

Trouble comes in threes: When Colorado State University Director of Athletics Joe Parker gave notice to Mike Bobo that he was out of a job, CSU football was unaware that their team was also going to lose their prodigy quarterback and two starting offensive linemen.

Quarterback Collin Hill, who was once thought to be the Rams future, has not yet officially announced where he will be taking his talents. Many anticipate that Hill will be following Mike Bobo to his next coaching position at the University of South Carolina.

Starting offensive tackle T.J. Storment and starting offensive guard Nouredin Nouili also announced their departure from CSU football, these two offensive linemen will leave a massive hole on the CSU offensive roster that Addazio will be forced to address this off-season. To secure a bright future in the coming seasons, Addazio and his coaching staff will have to stay clocked in after hours to try and make the most out of the signing period.

https://twitter.com/TJStorment72/status/1206299002817282048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1206299002817282048&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcollegian.com%2Fwp-admin%2Fpost.php%3Fpost%3D236916%26action%3Dedit%26classic-editor

During the early singing period in December, head coach Steve Addazio added his first 10 freshmen, signing off on letters of intent. However, CSU football will need more than 10 freshmen to fill the holes left — not only by transferring and graduating players, but also to solidify positions. This includes CSU’s quarterback depth, which is often affected by a slue of injuries. Addazio alluded to this himself during the National Signing Day presser: “What I’ve got to do is look at the health of our team, there are still some hidden injuries that could dictate another positional need.”

The road to fielding a successful CSU football team will be long and bumpy coming off of a woeful 2019 season, but with determination, Addazio and his coaching staff are confident they can get the job done.

This previous Wednesday marked the start of the National Signing period. Head coach Addazio announced during the presser that the team has added an additional 10 athletes to CSU football’s 2020 incoming class. One notable change since previous signing classes cultivated by Bobo is that much of the incoming class will be in-state talent. During the presser, Addazio was adamant that the team will continue to scout and sign from CSU’s backyard.

“We are trying to connect with these talented players throughout out our state that for whatever reason have been overlooked, that’s something that is really important to us,” Addazio said.

As of February 2020, here is the incoming 2020 recruiting class for Colorado State University.

The local talents to be featured on the 2020 roster will be 3-stars Sanjay Strickland, ILB from Pomona High School, Brian Crespo, OT from Poudre HS, Henry Blackburn, WR/S from Fairview HS, Tanner Hollens, ATH from Columbine HS and Chase Wilson, ATH from Ralston Valley HS.

Talents that Addazio has recruited from around the country, starting with the 3-stars: Brandon Guzman, WR/DB (Covina, California), James Mitchell, DT (Duncanville, Texas), Casey Irons, Jr., SDE (Gilmer, Texas), Kyjuan Herndon, ATH (Deltona, Florida), Bam Amina, ILB (Mililani, Hawaii), Aaron Moore, OLB (Murfreesboro, Tennessee), Gage Gaynor, OC (Pompano Beach, Florida), Tautai Marks, OC (Santa Ana, California), Owen Snively, OG (Tilton, New Hampshire), Dirk Nelson, OC (Visalia, California) and Cameron Bariteau, DT (Hightstown, New Jersey). Rounding off the list is Dylan Walker, a TE from Pope John Paul II HS (Royersford, Pennsylvania).

And a trio of transfers with Cam Reddy, a transfer OL with 3 years of eligibility from Boston College, Todd Centeio, a transfer QB with two years of eligibility from Temple University, and Brandon Hickerson-Rooks, a transfer DL with 3 years of eligibility from Lackawanna Community College.

With these 20 student athletes joining the Colorado State football team in 2020, there is still more room for addiction Rams; Addazio and his coaching staff have five more spots open before reaching the 25 recruiting class cap.

Fans and teammates alike will be excited to see how Addazio approaches filling in the gaps on the offensive line and quarterback positions. Regardless of your personal opinion of the coaching staff and incoming signees, wish the Rams the best and stay optimistic for the future.

Jack Taylor can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @j_taylr.