CSU men’s basketball back home to face Omaha

Now that the Duke hype is gone, the Colorado State Rams can lock into their season. The University of Denver was a solid confidence booster for the Rams, and AP-ranked No. 2 Duke was a great learning experience for the players. The Rams will take on the University of Nebraska Omaha Wednesday and look to string together some wins in this early season.

Omaha is coming to Fort Collins with a 2-1 record. Recording wins against Midland 72-53 and Bethune-Cookman 90-61, the Mavericks will have confidence and will look to calm the Moby Madness.

Colorado State is coming back to its home turf ready to improve on the dominant home court record. The Rams record at home is 554-235 all-time. In the past nine years before the 2019-20 season, CSU has finished above .500 at Moby Arena.

The last time Omaha visited Moby was in 2012, and the 3,000 people in attendance went home happy. The Rams dominated Omaha 87-63. The other time Omaha took a trip to Fort Collins was in 2004, and oddly enough, the Rams won 88-64. The numbers show how much of an advantage the home court provides the Rams, along with the previous matchups.

Head Coach Niko Medved has competed against Omaha twice in his tenure as head coach, but never as head coach for the Rams. In the 2017-18 season, Medved faced Omaha while coaching at Drake and split the two games. They lost the first game 75-73, but Drake and Medved redeemed themselves 11 days later, winning 93-74 at home.

Omaha had a very solid 2018-19 campaign, finishing 21-11 and second in the Summit League (13-3 in conference play). Six letter winners and three starters return from last year for the Mavericks. 

JT Gibson leads Omaha in points this season with 48, scoring an average of 16 points per game. Matt Pile is shooting with consistency as he leads Omaha in field-goal percentage with 64.3%. Pile ranks second in points with 43 and points per game with 14.3. Ayo Akinwole is having a hot start to the season, leading Omaha in 3-point percentage, shooting at 57.1%.

Player Dribbles
Colorado State University basketball player Kris Martin (1) dribbles the ball down court during the game against the University of Denver, Nov. 5. (Luke Bourland | The Collegian)

CSU is 1-0 against Summit League teams after beating the University of Denver. Over the years, the Rams have performed well against Summit League opponents, notching a 104-75 overall record.

Kris Martin comes into Wednesday’s matchup leading the Rams in minutes (63), points (27) and field goals (10). Freshmen guard Isaiah Stevens continues to show his worth and hopes to keep the momentum. He has started in the first two games this season, is third in points with 19 and leads the Rams in 3-point scoring (five made on nine attempts).

As you could expect, Nico Carvacho is cleaning the glass just like always. The 6-foot-11-inch center has 20 boards on the season, averaging 10 rebounds a game. 

You can watch the matchup on the Mountain West Network. The game is set to begin at 7 p.m. MST. If you are unable to watch the game, you can listen on the Colorado State Sports Network Radio. You can also follow along via live stats.

Tyler Meguire can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TMeguire