MRI reveals another ACL tear in Collin Hill’s left knee

The MRI results are in, and they aren’t good for Collin Hill and the Colorado State football team. Speculations about the severity of Hill’s latest injury to his two-time surgically repaired knee have been at a high the past two days, and Tuesday night it seemed the inevitable arrived.

“He has a torn ACL in the same knee that he tore his ACL on two previous occasions,” Head Coach Mike Bobo announced Tuesday in a press conference. “Obviously he’ll be out, it’ll be a while before we do surgery we have to let the swelling go down and talk about the process of how we’re going to fix his knee.”

This is the third ACL for Hill since his arrival to Fort Collins back in 2016. It’s heartbreaking for every player in that locker room and anyone that knows how genuine of a person Hill is.

Hill was hit illegally at his left knee near the start of the third quarter by Arkansas defensive back Joe Foucha. Hill’s left knee looked to have caved in, and Hill appeared to be in immediate agony. Foucha was flagged for roughing-the-passer for the hit, and Hill played another play before heading to the sidelines.

Hill will miss the remainder of the season and will be out indefinitely.

Quarterbacks Justice McCoy and Patrick O’Brien, who have been competing for the number two spot since fall camp began, will now battle for the starting role.

O’Brien figures to be the favorite to start Saturday as of right now, considering he replaced Hill on Saturday in the Rams’ 34-55 loss on the road to the University of Arkansas. O’Brien completed seven of 10 passes for 106 yards and a touchdown. 

O’Brien and McCoy are expected to split reps with the first team as the race for the starting spot is wide open for the rest of the season with Hill sidelined. 

The Rams host the University of Toledo Rockets this Saturday at Canvas Stadium.

Ryan Loberger can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on twitter @Lobergerryan.