CSU men’s, women’s golf ready for 2nd tournament

Colorado State women’s and men’s golf had similar starts to their 2019-20 campaigns earlier this month and are looking forward to the future. 

Women’s golf

The women’s golf team had a rough start as they finished tied for 14th at the two-day, three-round Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational. The Rams scored 304-306-301 for a total score of 911 (+47).

However, the tournament was not a total disappointment. Sophomore Saga Traustadóttir led CSU, scoring 73-71-78 (+6) to tie for 36th. Traustadóttir had the lowest score of the week in the second round (71). She also was below par on par fives over the weekend and had seven birdies.

Andrea Bergsdottir recorded an average of 4.83 on par fives throughout the tournament. Bergsdottir had no interest in going for par and led the team with eight birdies and finished the weekend with a cumulative score of 226 (74-77-75).

Women's golf team
The women’s golf team stands with trophies. (Photo courtesy of CSU Athletics)

Jessica Sloot was a part of good company with the tournament, as she had one of the nine eagles of the tournament. Sloot was the only Ram to accomplish this feat.

Head Coach Laura Cilek is excited for the future with this Rams squad.

“It wasn’t the start to the season we were looking for, but we saw a lot of potential in our squad going into the season,” Cilek said. “Our three freshman in the lineup looked much more comfortable the second day, and it is going to be fun to see them grow over their college career.”

Men’s golf

The Rams finished in a tie for seventh at the 2019 Carpet Capital Collegiate on Sept. 6-8. The tournament was hosted by Georgia Tech at The Farm Golf Club (par 72 – 7,180 yards).

The Rams battled with five teams in the top 25 and held their own. CSU improved by three shots over its second-round score (4-over 292) to place seventh in the tournament (tied with Clemson).

Colorado State University’s 2018-19 men’s golf team at the Ram Masters Invitational at Fort Collins Country Club on Sept. 18, 2018. (Photo Courtesy of CSU Athletics)

Senior AJ Ott finished in a tie for 15th at 3-over 19, and sophomore Davis Bryant finished 4-over 220 and tied for 18th. Ott and Bryant were the only CSU members to finish in the top 20. Junior Cullen Plousha finished 10-over 26 (tied for 37th), junior Parathakorn Suyasri finished at 11-over 27 (tied for 42nd) and sophomore Oscar Teiffel finished at 1-under 71 and had the top round of the day for the Rams (tied for 63rd).

Head Coach Christian Newton had high praise for his squad after the tournament. 

“I’m very pleased with our play this week,” Newton said. “We took home some great wins against some potential top-25 programs in their own backyard. Davis (Bryant) and AJ (Ott) had a great start to the fall, and I look for more good play for from them the rest of the season.”

Preview

CSU men’s golf will head back to Fort Collins to host the Eighth Annual Ram Masters Invitational on Monday and Tuesday. The tournament will take place at Fort Collins Country Club. CSU is walking into the tournament as the five-time defending champions.

The field for the tournament includes Air Force, Cal Poly, California State Fullerton, Creighton, Denver, Fresno State, Grand Canyon, Houston Baptist, Northern Colorado, Pacific, South Dakota, Utah State, Utah Valley, UTEP, Wichita State and Wyoming.

The Rams’ lineup is: 1. AJ Ott, 2. Davis Bryant, 3. Parathakorn Suyasri, 4. Cullen Plousha, 5. Oscar Teiffel and Ind. Jack Ainscough and Andrew Lafferty. CSU is in the traditional play-five, count-four for the tournament. 

CSU women’s golf will head to Washington to compete in the Washington State University Cougar Cup on Monday and Tuesday. The tournament will be hosted at the Palouse Ridge Golf Club. 

The Rams’ lineup is 1. Saga Traustadóttir, 2. Andrea Bergsdottir, 3. Jessica Sloot, 4. Tomine Bjerkelo, 5. Gabby Minier and Ind. Fiona Hebbel. 

Tyler Meguire can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TMeguire.