Mountain West Conference awards Kelcey Bedard second season accolade

Colorado State track and field members continue to shine, as the team was awarded another accolade this week.

CSU track and field athlete, Kelcey Bedard, competes well onlookers watch. Photo Courtesy: Nate Barrett/NCAA Photos

Senior Kelcey Bedard was named the Mountain West Women’s Field Athlete of the Week for the second time this season after having one of the best performances in 14 years at the Don Kirby Invitational.

In her career, Bedard has won the conference award three times overall in indoor and two times in the outdoor season.

Bedard—along with six other members from the team—has earned weekly conference accolades this season. The Rams total of seven weekly awards and six athletes recognized is the most among the Mountain West, as no other program has more than five in either category.

At the Don Kirby Invitational, Bedard recorded a personal best in the women’s weight throw of 72-10 (22.20m). Her previous best was 66-3.75, which ranked fourth all-time in CSU history. Bedard’s new mark ranks her second in both program and Mountain West history and is the sixth-best in the NCAA this season. She ranks as the conference leader in the weight throw by nearly 10 feet.

The senior will have one week off before attempting to break her record, as the Rams will return to action at the Mountain West Indoor Track & Field Championships in Albuquerque, New Mexico from Thursday, Feb. 28 through Saturday, March 2 at the Albuquerque Convention Center.

Sergio Santistevan can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TheRealsSergio.