Bobo picks up commitment from local prep star

Colorado State football added a second in-state verbal commitment to its 2018 recruiting class Saturday. Spencer Lovell, a 6-foot-6, 310 pound offensive lineman from nearby, Rocky Mountain high school in Fort Collins, announced his commitment to the Rams via Twitter.

A multi-sport athlete for the Lobos, Lovell played both guard and center for the football team, while also suiting up at center for the basketball team.

In 2016, the RMHS  football team finished with an overall record of 1-9. The basketball team however, finished two games north of .500 (13-11), ultimately losing to Fountain-Fort Carson High School in the 2017 CHSAA Boys Basketball State Tournament. 

The Rams head out to the field for pre-game warmups. (Trevor Capozza | Collegian)

Along with his obvious size, Lovell’s athleticism is what immediately catches the eye. Lovell is incredibly quick off of the snap, which allows him to beat his opponents at the line of scrimmage.

While many lineman have the size and strength to play the position, they lack the necessary agility to succeed at the collegiate level. Lovell appears to have this.

After beating his opponent at the line of scrimmage, Lovell is able to use his size and strength advantage to simply maneuver the defensive lineman out of the way.

The addition of Lovell puts the Rams 2018 recruiting class at six total commitments. Most recently, wide receiver and defensive back Lionel Anderson II from Moreau high school (CA) committed to CSU on the fourth of July.

Prior to Anderson, the Rams picked up commitments from defensive back Nick Martin-Morman (Covington, LA), athlete A’Jon Vivens (Denver, CO), linebacker Zach Schlager and long-snapper Ross Reiter (Phoenix, AZ).

NCAA rules prohibit the staff from commenting on a specific player before they have signed a National Letter of Intent. Players part of the 2018 recruiting circuit are eligible to sign their NLI on Wednesday, Feb. 7.

While the coaching staff cannot specifically comment on an individual, the Rams new director of recruiting, Emily Laff confirmed Lovell’s commitment on Twitter Saturday. Head coach Mike Bobo also confirmed the in-state commitment with this tweet. 

Collegian sports director Justin Michael can be reached by email at jmichael@collegian.com or Twitter @JustinTMichael.