CSU softball loses series finale to San Jose State, drops series 1-2

The Colorado State softball team struggled to score in its rubber match against San Jose State. Coming off of a busy weekend, the Rams were unable to beat the Spartans Monday, losing 12-4, and dropping the series 1-2.

The Rams battled from behind the entire game after SJSU hit back-to-back home runs, scoring four runs in the first inning. Taylor Arcarese responded by hitting a double to left field, bringing Haley Hutton across the plate to end an eventful first inning 4-1.

Haley Hutton was the only Rams batter to make it on base in the second or third innings. Meanwhile, the Spartans were able to stretch their lead to seven as they scored four more runs in the third inning.

After a quick three outs for the Ram’s defense, it looked like CSU might be making a comeback in the fourth inning.

Kristina Akiona started off the inning by hitting a single to center field, and then stole second base on a wild pitch. Amber Nelson was walked, putting two runners on base as Lauren Buchanan stepped up to hit. Buchanan smacked a home run over the left field fence, bringing the game within four runs. That homerun would be the end of the comeback bid though, as Hutton struck out swinging to end the fourth.

After a quiet fifth inning, SJSU looked to end the game in the sixth. The Spartans scored four more runs after hitting yet another home run, bringing the score to 12-4. The Rams struggled to connect with the ball, ending the game in the sixth inning due to the eight-run rule.

“We have to wake our bats up sooner,” CSU coach Jen Fisher said. “We have to have more than five hits against a pitching staff like that.”

CSU will continue Mountain West play in California against San Diego State this weekend. The three-game series starts Friday at 7 p.m.

Collegian Sports Reporter Jack Starkebaum can be reached at sports@collegian.com.