Colorado State softball ace Holly Reinke named MW Pitcher of the Week

Colorado State ace Holly Reinke was named Mountain West Pitcher of the Week by the conference Monday after pitching three complete games in the past week as the CSU softball team wrapped up non-conference play. 

Colorado State pitcher Holly Reinke celebrates a CSU win last season. (Photo Courtesy: CSU Athletics)

The senior added three wins in her record in as many starts. She appeared in four games, allowing just three earned runs over a total of 23 innings pitched, giving her an ERA of 0.91 over the four outings.

Reinke, who has now earned the weekly conference honor twice in her career, struck out 18 batters and only gave up 14 hits in the three starts. Opposing batters hit a dismal .169 against Reinke over the past week.

CSU has won 11 of its last 13, to climb above .500 on the year (14-12) and overcome a 3-10 start. Reinke has not lost a game since Feb. 26, and she has picked up the win in her last seven starts since.

Reinke is the second Ram to earn a weekly honor from the conference this year. Junior shortstop Haley Hutton was named Player of the Week by the conference March 8.

The Rams open conference play with a doubleheader against San Jose State starting Thursday at 2 p.m., with the second game of the day set to begin at 4 p.m. The teams finish up the three-game series Friday with the opening pitch scheduled for 4 p.m. All three games against SJSU will be played at Ram Field in Fort Collins on the CSU campus.

Collegian Sports Editor Emmett McCarthy can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @emccarthy22.