Adrianna Culbert adds AVCA All-American honors to her historic season

The postseason awards continue to roll in for CSU’s Adrianna Culbert, whose historic season has earned her an AVCA All-American selection.

The senior/opposite hitter  from Delton, Michigan was named a Third Team All-American by the AVCA Wednesday. Culbert was named All-American honorable mention the past two seasons.

CSU setter/opposite hitter Adrianna Culbert sets the ball to a teammate in a Nov. 12 match against San Jose State. Culbert was named at an AVCA Third Team All-American on Wednesday.
CSU setter/opposite hitter Adrianna Culbert sets the ball to a teammate in a Nov. 12 match against San Jose State. Culbert was named an AVCA Third Team All-American on Wednesday.

Culbert, who was also named Mountain West Conference player of the year on Nov. 30 and AVCA All-Pacific North region last week, was the cornerstone of a Rams team that won its seventh consecutive MW title and made its 21st straight appearance in the NCAA tournament.

While splitting time at both the setter and opposite hitter position, Culbert recorded a school and conference record-shattering eight triple-doubles this season. In an Oct. 17 match against San Jose State, Culbert became the first NCAA player in the past five years to have a quadruple double when she finished with 10 kills, 20 assists, 13 digs, and 10 blocks.

Culbert becomes the fifth CSU player to be named an All-American over the span of the past five seasons, following Deedra Foss in 2014, Dana Cranston in 2012, and Megan Plourde and Katelyn Steffan in 2011.

She helped lead the Rams to the first unbeaten record (18-0) in Mountain West play since 2003. The Rams finished the season 26-4 after falling to Loyola Marymount in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Collegian Sports Reporter Michael Roley can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @michael_roley.