CSU men’s golf opens with win at Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational

The Colorado State men’s golf team started off the year with a win at the Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational Sunday.

The strong performance marks the second team title under coach Christian Newton. He was quick to credit the team effort, which was highlighted by four top-15 finishes.

“I’m so proud of our boys,” Newton said. “… They played great all tournament. We were at least six back during today’s round and they kept fighting.”

Senior Dominic Kiefer posted the highest score of any Ram, finishing third overall. He shot six under par (210) for the tournament, which included an impressive performance on the final day. He went into Sunday ranked eighth but shot three under par (69) for a third-place finish.

The third-place finish was his third top-10 finish, and was the best individual performance of his career.

“Today was awesome,” Kiefer said before praising his teammates. “Everyone on the team came out with great attitudes and battled hard to come up with this victory.”

Kiefer sunk a clutch putt to clinch the victory for the Rams.

“It’s always nice to beat our in-state rivals over in Boulder,” Keifer said.

Redshirt freshman Kyler Dunkle and sophmore Max Oelfke each finished three strokes behind Kiefer, finishing in a five-way tie for seventh place. Junior Jimmy Makloski rounded out the top-15 finishes for the Rams, finishing 15th overall. Junior Blake Cameron finished 52nd overall, rounding out the scoring for the Rams in the field of 88.

True freshman Jake Staiano and sophomore Colton Yates each competed as individuals. Staiano finished in a tie for 35th overall. Yates withdrew from the tournament Sunday due to back pain. Yates had competed well through 36 holes, finishing Saturday tied for sixth place.

With the Rocky Mountain Showdown this Saturday, Rams fans will be happy to hear CSU (849) finished three strokes ahead of rival CU (852). Wyoming (863) rounded out the top three, finishing 14 strokes behind CSU.

Up next, CSU will host the Ram Master Invitational Sept. 21-22. The Rams won the tournament in 2014 after finishing second the two years prior.

Collegian Sports Reporter Justin Michael can be reached sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @JustinSportsCSU.