CSU forward Gustavsson named MW Women’s Basketball Player of the Week

Colorado State sophomore forward Elin Gustavsson has been named Mountain West Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the league announced Sunday.

Gustavsson scored a Mountain West-best 23 points in the Rams’ regular-season finale, leading the team to its second-consecutive conference championship vs. Utah State. She shot 8-of-9 from the field, adding a perfect 6-of-6 from the free-throw line.

Earlier in the week the Swede tallied 10 points and five rebounds in the Rams’ 68-61 victory over Nevada. Over the two games, she averaged 16.5 points and 5.0 rebounds for the week, while shooting 60.0 percent from the field and 88.9 percent from the charity stripe.

This is Gustavsson’s first-career weekly award, and it’s the third time a player from CSU has been honored this season. Gritt Ryder earned back-to-back recognition during non-conference action. It’s also the first time a CSU players has been honored during conference play since Kim Mestdagh on Feb. 13, 2012.

Collegian Sports Editor Keegan Pope can be reached at kpope@collegian.com and on Twitter @ByKeeganPope.