Spring sports preview and predictions

WBball_SLideshow-1

Swimming and Diving: At the splash of the second half of the season, CSU hit the water withwith one of the youngest teams. The Rams have 15 newcomers as they will focus on polishing up the fundamentals this season in preparation for stronger seasons to come. I predict the swimming and diving team to finish above the .500 mark on the season and finish in one spot higher at the MW championships.

Men’s Basketball: The Rams were forced to rebuild a starting line-up after losing its five go-to players to the graduation cap. With transfers Daniel Bejarano and J.J. Avila, an above .500 record could still be in the works. I predict CSU to finish fifth in the MW, not qualifying for the NCAA tournament.

Women’s Basketball: The Rams stand strong on the season as its only loss in the MW came from Fresno State on theroad. The dramatic difference is in reflection on the transfer Gritt Ryder, Elin Gustavsson and Ellen Nystrom. CSU should finish first in the MW  and a bid to the tournament.

Winter Track: With a season ahead of them traveling through Colorado, Nebraska and Washington, it is expected that this track and field team will carry over winning standards from the outdoor season. With impressive marks in 12 events, four men and six women are appearing on the national top 50 list this season. The team also has six athletes that rank in the top 25 so far. I predict the team to advance 10 athletes to the NCAA Championships.

Men’s Hockey: In its first season in the Division I, the Rams took a step into what many would describe as the toughest conference in the league. Competing against top 10 teams like Arizona State, Minot State and Oklahoma, the Rams have no room for error when competing against bigger and faster players. The competition level has not been the only challenge this season, it has been a challenge to keep a head coach on the bench. I predict the Rams will build up a winning record in the second half under new head coach Ken Fikis, ending the season within the top 20 teams.

Collegian Sports Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com.