Billboard Bibbs: five for five for five

Kapri Bibbs tallies five 3-plus touchdown performances in Ram’s fifth win.

“That guy is good. I mean really good.” If coach Jim McElwain was facing a player like Kapri Bibbs, that’s something he might say.

After Saturday, it has never been more accurate.

Ever since he scored 2 touchdowns in his first game as a Ram, redshirt sophomore Bibbs has been polishing his stardom until it shines. Ask any Nevada Wolfpack player, and they would tell you Bibbs’ performance was positively blinding.

After running for a measly 52 yards in the first half, Bibbs broke the school record for single-game rushing yards. He simply refused to go down.

“The way that they are able to run the ball is key,” Nevada coach Brian Polian said. “Their offensive line is really good, it’s really veteran.”

Bibbs tallied 312 total yards across 30 carries and made it into the end zone 4 times. He was single-handedly responsible for 28 of CSU’s 38 points, and the Rams took the game 38-17. Number five brought his team to five wins, and two games closer to a bowl game.

Though media policy prohibits interviewing Bibbs at any time, he would be the first to take the light off himself and put it on his offensive linemen. Lead by senior center Weston Richburg, they opened up lane after lane for him, ensuring that the Wolfpack defense would remember his name. After all, they mostly saw him from behind.

“As an O-linemen, we take pride in our run game,” Richburg said. “Getting a guy reaching 1,000 yards with 3 games left to play, and breaking a school record — that’s awesome.”

Now with 1,148, Bibbs accounts for over half of the team’s 2,016 rushing yards. He has proved that he can turn virtually no-yardage plays into big gains in the past, but he never showcased it more than Saturday.

He turned a third-and-2 situation into a 28 yard touchdown run, a first-and-10 scamper into 59 yards and 6 points and he solidified his stardom with an 85-yard sprint to the house on the first play of the Ram’s possession. He also tossed a 1-yard dash into the end zone in between long runs, just to change up the pace.

Bibbs scored every touchdown for the Rams; the other 10 points came from Jared Roberts’ field goals and a 2-point conversion by Donnell Alexander.

“He makes things happen when there’s nothing there,” quarterback Garrett Grayson said. “I have no problem turning around and handing him the ball every time if that’s what it takes to win football games.”

McElwain is loathe to inflate the ego of his players, simply giving Bibbs the accolade that he is “doing his job,” but it’s easy to tell he is proud.

With Bibbs in the backfield, CSU’s chances of taking 2 of the next 3 games, and going to a bowl are increasingly reassuring, and that is McElwain’s first priority. Perhaps with a bowl-game win, Mac will admit what everyone else already knows, “that kid has something special.”

Football Beat Reporter Cali Rastrelli can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @c_rasta5.

He’s trending with the bird:

“If you haven’t heard of Kapri Bibbs you should get accustomed to hearing the name! #TeamKapriBibbs” -@SUBDARAPPER

“Great game today man keep working hard you deserve it!” -@djtheman13

“I mean is anyone actually surprised Kapri Bibs is tearing up the NCAA? This dude has been destined for greatness from the beginning. #HAM” -@JorenBostwick

“Since day one at csu, Kapri Bibbs been lookin out for me  and today I got to see him go off like he as earned #BestRBInTheNation” -@Berky86 (teammate Austin Berk)

“Kapri Bibbs Gives us a new way to spell #5wag.” -@camtheramman

“Kapri Bibbs is freakin Superman!” -@BradHarper15

“Kapri Bibbs has a knack for pulling off a long run. The guy is a special RB no doubt this guy is a game changer! #SellBibbsJerseysFools” -CSU_BoldNewEra