CSU softball looks to upset No. 9 Texas A&M

Kendal Butterfield makes contact against UNLV Thursday evening. The Rams won 2- 0.

The CSU softball team heads into a three game road series with no intention of making it easy.

Coming off a six game winning streak, CSU (17-14)(3-0MW) hopes that it is enough momentum to take on No. 9 Texas A&M (28-7)(5-6 SEC).

It is always a great feeling to know your team is able to play the best, but it is another feeling knowing you can beat the best. With a win over Texas A&M, CSU softball will reach new heights.

“Going down to College Station is never an easy fight, ” CSU coach Jen Fisher said. “What we hope to come away with, is a feeling that we can play with top ranked teams. And how something like that can move the program forward.”

Most recently swinging the bats strong, CSU no longer need to rely on the power on the mound in senior Kacie McCarthy. In game one of a three game series against UNLV, McCarthy shut out the Rebels, 2-0, the Rams sixth of the season.

“We first off need to hit the ball, we need to drive the gaps and get runners on base,” junior Chelsea Biglow said. “We need to get them in every way we can.”

Texas A&M is coming off a hard road trip in Alabama. Falling two games to No.4 Alabama, the Aggies could not pull out a win after leading the series 1-0.

Leading the team, Biglow looks to come out with another strong appearance on the bases and in the infield. Biglow was named the Mountain West Player of the Week on April 2.

“We love the challenge, and are really excited to go out there and play a really great top team,” Biglow said. “We will just take it one game and one practice at a time. We just want to prepare the best we can so that we can give them a great fight and win some games this weekend.”

Biglow and junior Alysa Greckel drove in a combinedd nine runs during game two against UNLV.

The momentum from the CSU offense could give hope to the Rams. Coming in unknown to College Station, CSU must focus on getting on base and keeping Texas A&M’s power hitters out of the batter box.

The Rams entered play this week among the top 100 in national offensive categories. They are ranked in batting average, 65 in scoring (5.26 runs per game), 73 in slugging percentage (.437) and 88th in batting average(.285).

However, CSU still has a long way to go compared to its opponent.

In order to pull out a win, the Rams must bring out their best bats to match the offensive dominance Texas A&M has.

“That type of a win can catapult your program,” Fisher said. “We would have made it to that level.”

The first game of the series will take place on Friday April 5 at in . The weekend will continue with play on Saturday and Sunday.

Softball Beat Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com.