ASCSU discusses funding for campus programs, swears in senators

ascsu meets in the senate chambers
The Associated Students at Colorado State University senate holds the first senate meeting of the fall 2021 semester Sept. 1. (Cat Blouch | The Collegian)

The Associated Students of Colorado State University convened on Oct. 20 for their eighth meeting of the semester. ASCSU swore in a new senator, heard a proposal by a CSU student, ratified a new member to the Student Fee Review Board and heard a presentation on Resolution 5104.

Antonella Torres Peralta was sworn in as an associate senator for El Centro.

Guest speaker Walker Sparling proposed to have a bike rack installed on the north side of CSU remote parking lot 740. Sparling said there is a problem with students locking their bikes to trees and handicap signs near the parking lot.

“I’m mainly targeting this towards the users of the CSU remote parking lot because that parking lot is about a mile away from the Lake Street parking garage and the Aggie Village Apartments for reference,” Sparling said. “So that is kind of a longer walk, and especially in the night hours, it might be easier to bike, and it’d be faster to bike.”

Learning more about those organizations within SFRB, I think it gives you a great opportunity not just to learn about managing budgets, and that’s something I really love to do and something I’m really looking forward to learning more about- Jessica Laffey, freshman economics student

Sparling spoke about how as well as stopping students from locking their bikes to trees and handicap signs near the parking lot, the rack would be near the Centre & Research bus stop, provide increased accessibility to the 740 parking lot and a method of fast transportation to the 740 parking lot when the Around the Horn shuttle route isn’t running.

“Even though there is free parking at certain places on campus on weekdays, there still is a time after 6 p.m. that the shuttle doesn’t go,” Sparling said. “So if students aren’t going to campus early in the day, they would still have to pay for parking at either the Lake Street parking garage or by the Morgan Library, so I believe this would be a good solution to that.”

Sparling said the new bike rack could increase remote parking pass sales and decrease the amount of policing required to remove bikes.

Later in the meeting, freshman economics student Jessica Laffey was unanimously ratified to the SFRB.

“Learning more about those organizations within SFRB, I think it gives you a great opportunity not just to learn about managing budgets, and that’s something I really love to do and something I’m really looking forward to learning more about,” Laffey said. “But I think it’s bigger than that in the sense that you get to learn so much about the communities here on campus.” 

The next part of the meeting was a presentation on Resolution 5104, “Support for Hunger-Free Campus Funding.” The resolution seeks to endorse Swipe Out Hunger’s Hunger-Free Campus Bill and calls on the Colorado Department of Higher Education to find funding to support programs like Rams Against Hunger.

“Basically what this resolution would do is affirm that ASCSU — and kind of by extension the student body — that they think this is a good idea and that we have organizational support for this kind of effort,” Director of Governmental Affairs Anya Kaplan-Hartnett said.

Piper Russell can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @PiperRussell10.