CSU leads university COVID-19 case numbers in Colorado

Update: Colorado State University numbers reflect the results of more than 8,500 tests since Aug. 17. The number of cases are low given the number of tests, according to Public Safety and Risk Communications Manager Dell Rae Ciaravola. 

In comparison to University of Colorado Boulder’s numbers from March to August, CU reported 66 positive COVID-19 cases out of 845 tests.

“CSU is testing many more individuals, so CSU will have higher numbers of positives,” wrote Ciaravola. 

Original article: 

COVID-19 is not leaving any state out when it comes to cases on university campuses, Colorado State University included.

There have been over 80 confirmed cases at CSU since May 20, according to Public Safety and Risk Communications Manager Dell Rae Ciaravola.

This means CSU has the highest case count of all other universities in the state, according to data published by The New York Times.

A breakdown of COVID cases at CSU can be found here.

The University has been providing hand sanitizer and wipes to students outside of classrooms as well as a required daily symptom checker for students. 

“Free tests will be offered every Tuesday and Friday on campus to students, faculty and staff who are asked to be tested by the University,” wrote Ciaravola in an email to The Collegian

However, the locations of these free tests are yet to be determined by the Pandemic Preparedness Team.  

But even with proper social distancing measures and hybrid/online class models in place, the numbers are still undeniable.

On Aug. 28 alone, four students and two faculty and staff members tested positive, according to data provided on CSU’s COVID recovery website.

“Numbers reflect positive test results associated with faculty, staff and students as compiled by CSU Public Health, Larimer County public health and private physicians and do not necessarily reflect individuals who have or have not been on University grounds,” the website reads.

CSU is responding to positive cases through rapid tracing of individuals who have been in close contact with a person who has tested positive and quarantining them, according to Ciaravola.  

“In addition, the University is using wastewater testing for viral signals to (trace) potential active COVID-19 cases,” wrote Ciaravola. “Wastewater provides very early detection of COVID-19 in a community, often before there is a higher number of cases.”

She notes that the wastewater testing method was used to prevent an outbreak at the University of Arizona. 

“Rams take care of Rams,” the COVID-19 recovery website reads. “Our most important commodity is the health of our students, faculty, staff and University visitors. We must do our part to keep each other healthy and to protect the health of our family, friends and larger Northern Colorado community.”

Laura Studley can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @laurastudley_