Kristin Stephens runs unopposed for District 4 seat

Kristin Stephens has held the District 4 seat for the past four years and is running unopposed for reelection this year.

Courtesy of the Kristin Stephens’ campaign

She has lived in her district for the past 20 years and works in the statistics department at Colorado State University. She said she got involved in City government by working on commissions.

“I’m running for reelection because I want to continue to serve the community,” Stephens said. “I feel like we’ve done a lot of great work in the past four years, but there are a lot of issues that concern me.”

Stephens’ policy positions are largely built around her experience on Council. She said she wants to works with corporate partners, metro districts, federal funding and other tools to build more housing at lower prices. She would also be interested in looking at losing U+2 rules in parts of the city where it makes the most sense for students, but not in all single-family neighborhoods.

To address homelessness in the City, she supports more housing for individuals and families experiencing homelessness, as well as expanded mental health services for those with addiction, mental health concerns and other disabilities. 

Stephens said she believes that the City is doing a good job to meet its renewable energy goals, but that there are technological innovations which have to be made before 100 percent renewable energy is possible. To meet those goals, she said the city must continue to work with Platte River Power Authority.

“I certainly think this is something we can and should achieve,” she said.

Stephens also supports the Halligan reservoir and robust water conservation programs, like expanded xeriscaping projects to promote water conservation in Fort Collins.

For waste management, Stephens supports the current plans to expand the recycling center at the existing landfill in Fort Collins and the construction of a new landfill in Wellington, both of which are currently in the planning stages at the City.

Stephens says the expansion of public transportation in the City must line up with the growth of the population. In order to do this, she advocates for new bus stops and routes or rideshare programs, like the scooter program, to fill in the gaps.

She doesn’t support the ballot measure for full-time pay for City Council members, saying it’s too much money for a city of our size. However, as the only woman on Council until the appointment of Susan Gutowsky, she said she can see the argument that full-time pay could help encourage diversity on Council. She also encourages women, people of color and young people to run for office and apply to be on City commissions. 

Stephens also signed the Anti-corruption Act Endorsement, saying it’s important for constituents not to feel that candidates are being compelled by moneyed interests who contribute to their campaigns.

“I think people are really concerned about the money in politics,” she said. “I want people in our city to know where the money is coming from.”

On the Issues

Ravyn Cullor can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @RCullor99.