First on-campus Friday game to close parking lots, roads on campus

map of refill lots, located on the north side of campus and the south college lot
A map of CSU parking refill lots for on campus students. (Courtesy of Colorado State Rams, Football)

Make sure to plan your transportation accordingly for Colorado State University’s next football game.

Starting Friday, Oct. 26, parking lots and roads will close throughout the afternoon to accommodate for the football game against the University of Wyoming. 

Although students are expected to attend classes, there will be no way to drive off of campus after 5 p.m. due to changes in traffic patterns.

According to SOURCE, additional transportation options are available for students and faculty.

• The Lory Student Center Transit Center will remain open and Transfort routes are expected to run as normally scheduled.
  • The MAX bus route will still run every 10 minutes and has three stations on or bordering campus (Prospect, University and Laurel Stations.)
  • Parking will be available at Research Blvd., although spots may be limited. Those parking can then take the HORN to main campus. The HORN will stop running around 4:45 p.m.

Students, faculty and staff who don’t need to be on campus on Friday are encourage to avoid coming to campus, or to leave before 3 p.m., according to SOURCE.

According to an email from Public Safety and Risk Communications Manager Dell Rae Ciaravola in May 2018, Athletics and University partners need to adjust student repark times for Friday’s home game, which is the first weekday game held in Canvas stadium.

Ciaravola wrote that CSU recognized this may pose an issue for students and faculty on campus Friday. 

“Most of the game day policies and procedures will remain the same as a Saturday game, but certainly there are needed adjustments that will be made to ensure access to campus for faculty, staff and students when hosting a Friday evening, week-day game on campus,” Ciaravola said. 

The following lots will be closed after 8 a.m. on Friday:

• Lot 240, directly west of the stadium 
  • Lot 475 at Aylesworth Hall
  • Lot 236 at Newsom Hall
  • Hughes Way parking, east of the Rec Field restroom building
  • Lot 165 at Scott Bioengineering
  • Lot 470 at Braiden Hall

Joe Parker, CSU director of athletics, wrote in an email to The Collegian that, because CSU is a member of the Mountain West Conference, the television rights to University games are controlled by the conference’s TV partners. The TV partners have Thursday and Friday broadcast windows in addition to Saturdays. The conference’s partners are asked, on occasion, to participate in those non-Saturday windows.

“Last year, with our first year playing games on campus at Canvas Stadium, we requested that we be able to play all of our home games on Saturdays to help navigate that transition most successfully, and were accommodated in that request by the MW,” Parker wrote. “This year we have one Friday home game, but were asked to possibly have another, the Sept. 8 Arkansas game, but requested that it be kept on a Saturday.” 

Paul Kirk, associate athletics director for communications, wrote there’s a possibility for more football games to happen on Friday in the future, but Saturday is preferred.

Repark 

Students in Newsom Hall and Braiden Hall are expected to move their cars to either the northern lots on campus or the parking garage on College Avenue by 8 a.m. Friday.

Other students living on-campus who need to move their cars to a different location can start reparking Thursday, Oct. 25 at 4 p.m. All students must move their cars by 3 p.m. Friday. Students who need to move their cars will receive an email from the Athletics Department, Ciaravola wrote in an email to The Collegian.

Some parking lots will be closed for the entire day, including the parking lot directly west of the stadium, the lots at Aylesworth, Newsom and Braiden Halls, the Hughes Way parking area and the parking lot at Walter Scott Jr. Bioengineering.

Road Closures

Meridian Street, Pitkin Street and Lake Street will also close at 1 p.m. Friday. Due to these road closures, students parked in the Morgan Library parking lot and Hartshorn parking lot before 1 p.m. are expected to leave those lots by 3 p.m.

All other parking lots, garages and street parking will be closed starting at 3 p.m.

Traffic plans at 5 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 26 for the football game against the University of Wyoming. (Courtesy of SOURCE)

Alternative Transportation 

Bike racks by the stadium will be temporarily relocated to Pitkin Street, east of the stadium.

At 1 p.m., Around the Horn will use an abbreviated route. Starting at 5:15 p.m., it will then only run from Lake Street and College Avenue to the stadium.

The last route for Transfort busses at the Lory Student Center Transit Center will be at 4:45 p.m., and then the busses will transition to game day service

Starting at 5 p.m., all University entrances will direct traffic onto campus. Parking lots will be open for ticket holders at 5:30 p.m. and kickoff will be at 8 p.m.

Collegian reporter Julia Trowbridge can be reached at news@collegian.com or on twitter @chapin_jules.