231-acre Seaman Fire 100 percent contained, closures remain

Natalia Sperry

The 231-acre Seaman Fire has been 100 percent contained by firefighters as of Friday evening, according to a press release issued by the Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forests service (ARP).

A U.S. Forest Service member monitors the Seaman Fire Thursday Evening. (Colin Shepherd | Collegian)

Active fire crews will now focus on clean up and monitoring operations until the fire stops burning, according to the release.

100 percent containment of a fire means firefighters were able to stop it from spreading by building a perimeter around the burn area, according to National Public Radio.  

This containment follows a “quiet night” for the Seaman Fire, with relative inactivity reported overnight by ARP. Firefighters lifted the voluntary evacuation of 11 structures on Smith Bridge Road about a half mile away from the fire Thursday morning. 

ARP will continue the closure order for the area for the duration of continued public safety operations for the Seaman Fire. This closure includes the Greyrock and Hewlett Gulch Trails as well as the City of Fort Collins’ Gateway Park Natural Area. There are no road closures in effect.

Today, 120 firefighters were assigned to the fire, along with two Type 1 helicopters, two Type 3 helicopters and two Single Engine Air Tankers, according to ARP. 

The fire, which is 12 miles northwest of Fort Collins near the Seaman Reservoir, began on Tuesday following a lightning strike. It then grew to over 200 acres by Thursday following windy conditions in the Poudre Canyon. 

This is a developing news story. Stay with The Collegian for more.

Natalia Sperry can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @Natalia_Sperry.