Salmonella outbreak confirmed at La Luz Mexican Restaurant in Old Town

An outbreak of salmonella at La Luz Mexican Restaurant in Fort Collins is under investigation by the Larimer County Department of Health and Environment, according to a press release from the LCDHE.

The LCDHE has confirmed six cases of Salmonella and is investigating other possible cases. Some of the confirmed infected people have been hospitalized.

“La Luz has been proactive in collaborating with the Health Department to try and identify the source of the outbreak,” LCDHE Public Information Officer Katie O’Donnell said in the release. “La Luz is primarily concerned with the safety of its customers and integrity of its food supply and wants to prevent any further illness as best they can.”

O’Donnell said La Luz has been non-resistant to unannounced health inspections and receptive to changes requested by the LCDHE including disposing of food and updating refrigeration.

La Luz Mexican Restaurant, located at 200 Walnut Street, has closed until further notice out of concern for the safety of employees and customers. The restaurant is cooperating with the Health Department investigation.

Salmonella is a bacterial infection which is usually found in raw meat, eggs and produce. 

“(The LCDHE) can’t tell the restaurant to close,” said O’Donnell. “They chose to do that, and it costs the restaurant money.”

Salmonella is a bacterial infection which is usually found in raw meat, eggs and produce. The illness attacks the intestines, urinary tract, bloodstream or other body tissues, according to the release.

Symptoms may include, diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps, vomiting and bloody stool and typically appear six to 72 hours after consuming contaminated food. According to the release, symptoms can last four to seven days. Symptoms may be longer and result in hospitalization if the case of Salmonella is serious.

Concerns or illness can be reported at larimer.org/sick and information about Salmonella can be found at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website.

The length of the investigation is difficult to determine when the source of the Salmonella is still unknown, but O’Donnell said the LCDHE is working to find the source and help La Luz correct procedures and policies so they can reopen as soon as possible.

Collegian news reporter Ravyn Cullor can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @RCullor99