New construction announced at CSU as old projects finish

Video by Emma Iannacone, CTV

Construction crews are common on campus as Colorado State University updates existing facilities and builds new structures. 

Major projects include several multipurpose teaching facilities across various degrees of study, such as a new design building and an animal clinic.

Richardson Design Center

The Richardson Design Center is an all new structure located behind the Gifford building. It will feature maker’s spaces throughout the 45,000-square foot building, including 3D printing machines, laser cutters, wood and metal shops and textiles equipment.

“On main campus, the Richardson Design Center is one of four major projects going on at the same time, all scheduled to open now or within six months,” said Fred Haberecht, campus planner of Facilities Management.

The center will house the Design and Merchandising main office, design faculty offices, internship area and classes for the newly renamed interior architecture and design major. It will also house the Richardson Design Center main office and classes for the new interdisciplinary undergraduate certificate in Design Thinking. 

The building is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2019 and costs approximately $16.5 million. The majority of funding for this project came from donations, including $8 million from Nancy Richardson, the namesake of the building.

National Western Center Health Education Outreach Center addition

The National Western Center Health Education Outreach Center will add 39,600 total square feet to the existing building and will include student study areas, an anatomy computer lab, an anatomy lab, a neuroanatomy lab, office space for an outreach coordinator, support spaces and cooler space. 

“(The addition) will move existing anatomy labs to this new facility and will have opportunities for virtual reality teaching,” Haberecht said. “It’s a great update for what those students have been working with for the last 45 years.”

The four-story addition to the east side of the existing Anatomy and Zoology building, will be completed Dec. 21 of this year. The estimated cost is $23.3 million, with $1 million approved from the University Facility Fee Advisory Board and $22.3 million funded by National Western COP funds, according to Facilities Management.

Michael Smith Natural Resources Addition

The addition to the Michael Smith Natural Resources building was completed this year in time for classrooms to be used.

The 37,400-square foot addition renovated classrooms, instructional laboratories, a Student Success Center and departmental and conference spaces.

JBS Global Food Innovation Center addition

The JBS Global Food Innovation Center is currently undergoing construction for a 38,000-square foot addition. It will provide resources such as livestock handling, meat harvest processing and more.

The addition will cost between $20 million or $21 million and will be funded with donations.

In addition to on-campus construction, CSU is currently working on several projects off campus.

C. Wayne McIlwraith Translational Medicine Institute & Equine Barn 

The C. Wayne McIlwraith Translational Medicine Institute & Equine Barn on the Veterinary Medical Center campus is almost 130,000 square feet with 45,000 square feet of clinical space for large animals, according to Tracey Abel of Facilities Management. There will also be a 40 stall horse barn.

The project is expected to cost $45 million, with $14.4 million from CSU contributions, according to Abel. 

Collegian reporter Emma Iannacone can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @EmmaIannacone.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article referred to the C. Wayne McIlwraith Medical Institute. This article has been updated to clarify the correct name of the center, the C. Wayne McIlwraith Translational Medicine Institute.