Silent protest to support survivors, spread awareness of sexual assault

Members of the Women and Gender Advocacy Center, the Red Whistle Brigade and Men in the Movement protest signs displayed on several houses along Laurel Street on August 17, 2017. (Photo courtesy of the Women and Gender Advocacy Center)

To conclude Sexual Assault Awareness Month, the Red Whistle Brigade will be leading a silent protest to spread awareness of sexual assault and support survivors.

According to the Facebook event page, protesters will meet at 11 a.m. on April 25 in the Women and Gender Advocacy Center office, and walk to the LSC food court.

There, they will unfold canvas banners which express messages such as “We deserve a rape free campus,” and march to the Plaza to stand in silence and solidarity with sexual violence survivors.

Whitney Gustafson and Hannah Manning, two RWB members working on the event, encourage anyone who cares about survivors of interpersonal violence to join the protest.

“We know that healing from interpersonal violence is not an easy thing to do, especially if you feel like you’re alone in the healing,” Gustafson wrote in an email to The Collegian. “(The) reason we encourage others to join the protest is because we want survivors and victims to know that we care about them, that they are not alone, and that they have a community here on campus.”

Every person who participates will get a free Reframe shirt as a thank you, according to Gustafson.

Gustafson wrote that while they recognize many students are aware of the epidemic of interpersonal violence, they also want to make a space for survivors.

“(We) want to make sure we get beyond awareness to things like healing and support,” Gustafson wrote. “We hope that this protest will encourage individuals on campus who are able to live their lives without thinking about interpersonal violence to stop and consider the impact that this has on others.”

Collegian reporter Samantha Ye can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @samxye4.