CSU projects 3 percent tuition increase for academic year 18-19

PUEBLO – Colorado State University presented a 3 percent tuition increase as the most likely decision for next academic year’s tuition rates at the Board of Governors’ meeting Thursday morning.

Based on what CSU believes the state contribution will be, in-state CSU students will likely see an increase of about $172 to their tuition bill next fall if enrolled in 15 credits—bringing the total base tuition to $5,902.83 per semester.

Tony Frank and D.Rico Munn talk to each other
Dr. Tony Frank and Rico Munn discuss a question posed at the Board of Governors meeting on Friday, October 6, 2017. (Collegian File Photo)

Out-of-state students will see a larger dollar increase if CSU stays with this plan: an additional $400 added to their base tuition of $13,330, bringing the total to about $13,730 per semester, or $27,460 per year.

CSU has raised in-state undergraduate tuition at least 5 percent for the past 10 years. Last May, the board settled on a 5 percent increase for resident undergraduates and a 2.5 percent increase for out-of-state undergraduates for the fiscal year 2018.

The burden of higher education costs falls mostly on students and families now as compared to the past 15 years. In fiscal year 2000-2001, the state covered 68 percent of the cost and 32 percent fell to students. By 2012, the proportions reversed in Colorado, according to the 2016-2017 tuition and fees report by the state’s department of higher education.

Mandatory student fees add about $2,300 to the cost of attendance each year for students, but the rate of increase has slowed down in the past two years. Fees rose 1.4 percent for academic year 17-18 and 3.5 percent for 16-17, compared to a percent increase of 11.28 in 15-16. The Student Fee Review Board will propose a fee budget for 18-19 to the CSU Board of Governors for approval in May.

Collegian Editor-in-Chief Erin Douglas can be reached at editor@collegian.com or on Twitter @erinmdouglas23.

Editor’s Note: In a previous version of this article, the fee percent increase of 11.28 percent was incorrectly attributed to academic year 16-17. The fees increased 11.28 percent in academic year 15-16.