Crime Update: Sexual assault arrest leads to car chase

Monday, Nov. 21: Suspect arrested after stabbing

David Matthew Strunk was arrested on Nov. 21 for first degree murder after stabbing a male victim on Parker Street in Fort Collins.

When police arrived on the scene, the victim had life-threatening injuries and was sent to Poudre Valley Hospital. He later died.

Authorities reportedly believe that the homicide was not random and that the suspect and the victim knew each other.

The case is still under investigation.

Tuesday, Nov. 22: Armed Robber at large in Loveland

A man with a handgun robbed a Loveland Conoco Gas Station Nov. 22. and has not yet been found by authorities.

robber
The suspect’s description is a white male approximately 35 years old with a full beard, about 5’06” tall and 140 pounds. At the time of the robbery the suspect was wearing a ball cap, a dark colored hooded jacket, frameless glasses with yellow lenses, and dark colored gloves. Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Investigator Chris Melvin at 970-498-5163. (Image courtesy of Larimer County Sheriff’s Office)
Robbery_Suspect.JPG
Authorities are still looking for an armed robbery suspect who robbed a gas station in Loveland on Tuesday. (Photo courtesy of Larimer County Sheriff’s Office)

The investigation continues after the man reportedly displayed a handgun and demanded cash from the clerk. At the time of the robbery, only an attendant was present at the gas station. The attendant gave the robber the requested cash and was not injured.

The suspect fled on foot. The Larimer County Sheriff’s Office attempted to use a K9 unit to track the suspect, but he was not located.

The gas station is located at 5009 N. Garfield Ave. The suspect’s identity and their whereabouts are currently unknown.

Wednesday, Nov. 23: Sexual assault suspect arrested after car chase

A suspect was arrested Nov. 23 after a sexual assault and police chase.

The suspect, 38 year-old male, Jessie Frias, is accused of sexually assaulting a female and used a knife as coercion. The female escaped without major injuries.

The police received a call about the assault and was given the location and a description of the perpetrator’s car.

When the police arrived on the scene, Frias fled in his car. The authorities followed Frias while he attempted to hit law enforcement vehicles during his escape. Eventually, he crashed his car and was caught trying to escape on foot near 2500 East Harmony Road.

Frias was arrested with charges for 2nd degree kidnapping, sexual assault with a deadly weapon, 2nd degree assault with a deadly weapon and vehicular eluding.

Both Frias and involved officers were uninjured by the chase.

Friday, Nov. 25: Alcohol suspected in College Avenue hit and run

One man had serious injuries and two others were minorly injured after a hit and run incident Friday evening.

The three car accident occurred at the intersection of College Avenue and Willox Lane, when Juan Lara-Medina drove through a red light on College Avenue and hit the front of a car making a left turn.

Lara-Medina continued driving south and started driving into oncoming traffic, which resulted in a second collision. Lara-Medina was reportedly intoxicated at the time of the incident.

Lara-Medina fled the scene, but was later arrested on charges of vehicular assault, failing to remain at an accident scene and driving under the influence.

Don Stephenson and his passenger, of the first impacted vehicle, had minor injuries and were treated on the scene.

The second driver, Robert Browell, which was hit as Lara-Medina headed south in a northbound lane, was sent to Medical Center of the Rockies with serious injuries.

Saturday, Nov. 26: Circuit overload causes Fort Collins house fire

A fire broke out early Saturday morning in a home on Killdeer Drive, west of College Avenue and south of Swallow Road.

Poudre Fire Authority Investigators deemed that the fire was the result of a circuit overload and improper electrical wiring.

The fire was quickly put out and all of the people and dogs in the home made it out safely.

One resident was transported to Poudre Valley Hospital for smoke inhalation treatment.

Collegian reporter Nicole Towne can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @nicole_towne21.