Bernie Sanders to host rally at CSU Monday afternoon

Vermont Senator and former presidential candidate Bernie Sanders will host a get-out-to-vote rally on the CSU’s campus Monday, Oct. 17 in the Lory Student Center’s Grand Ballroom from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The rally will aim to increase voter turnout for the upcoming election by encouraging people to register to vote. The rally will also urge voters to elect Hillary Clinton for president.

RSVPs for the event are encouraged and can be made on Hillary Clinton’s campaign website. However, the event is first come, first serve and an RSVP will not guarantee entrance.

This will be Sanders’ second visit to CSU campus this year, the first being his rally on Feb. 28 in Moby Arena while in contention for the Democratic nomination. The rally earlier this year drew a crowd that nearly filled the 8,745 seat capacity of Moby Arena.

bernie sanders.jpg
Senator Bernie Sanders rallied at Moby Arena on the CSU campus Sunday, Feb. 28. (Abbie Parr | Collegian)

Sanders’ rally on the CSU campus is one of many rallies the Senator will have in Colorado this coming week to campaign for Hillary Clinton.

Following Sanders’ speech at the LSC, he will campaign on CU Boulder’s campus in support of Amendment 69, which would allocate universal healthcare to all Coloradans if ratified. Doors for the event open at 4 p.m. and begin at 5 p.m. at CU Boulder’s Farrand Field.

Sanders will continue campaigning in Denver on Sunday Oct. 16 with Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren. The rally will begin at 6 p.m. and will be held at the Tivoli Student Union on the Auraria Campus in Denver. A description for the event on Clinton’s campaign site reads, “Ballots in Colorado will be mailed to registered voters in less than a week, so it’s time to get registered to vote.”

Trump’s recent campaign in Loveland on Oct. 3 was the first visit to the area this election season by a major party candidate, although his campaign has yet to hold an event on the CSU campus. His daughter, Ivanka, toured a Fort Collins charter school Liberty Common Sept. 22. On the same day, Trump’s son, Donald Jr., visted the Western slope, and Trump’s running mate, Mike Pence, visited Colorado Springs.

Trump plans to hold two rallies in Colorado Springs and Grand Junction Tuesday Oct. 18, according to his campaign site.