Free breakfast for bicycle commuters next Thursday

Free breakfast will be given to people who bike to campus between 7 a.m and 10 a.m on Sept. 15, Sept. 22 and Sept. 29.

Those who ride to campus on the event days will be given a breakfast burrito, a bike helmet fitting and a Travelshed map. The event will also include information on bicycle safety and commuting.

The three days are part of a program called Bike to Breakfast, an annual series of bicycle education events sponsored by Colorado State University’s Parking and Transportation Services, the CSU Police Department, the Associated Students of Colorado State University and the Student Sustainability Center.

On Sept. 15, breakfast will be available to cyclists by the trees on Plum Street and Meridian Avenue. On Sept. 22, breakfast will be available by the Intramural Field on the corner of South Drive and Meridian Avenue. On Sept. 29, breakfast will be available on the grassy area on the north side of the Chemistry building near Newton’s Statue.

bike2.jpg
Bike commuters will be served free breakfast burritos on Sept. 15. (Collegian | Natalie Dyer)

According to CSU Alternative Transportation Manager Aaron Fodge, Bike to Breakfast promotes commuting by bicycle all year.

“If we can build their confidence early in the semester, we hope they will continue riding year round,” Fodge wrote in an e-mail to the Collegian.

According to Fodge, CSU has the infrastructure to support year-round bicycling. The University has 10.4 miles of trails and bike lanes, and over 15,000 bikes rack spaces in close proximity to academic buildings.

“We have the climate to support daily bicycling,” Fodge wrote. “We hope through skills development and knowledge of local rules and regulations, students and employees will be able to ride (to campus) throughout the year.”

Collegian reporter Gabriel Go can be reached at news@collegian.com.