Aggie Village students at odds with parking availability

Some students have reported concerns over parking permit pricing and parking lot distance to the Aggie Village complex, while others have reported not having any immediate concerns.

Aggie Village, the new University apartment housing complex, has about 571 parking spaces available for the 883 students who live there.

However, only about 424 students currently hold permits, and students reported both satisfaction and dissatisfaction with the lots.

Students discussed concerns over spot availability and permit pricing.

“There isn’t enough (parking), and I paid a little too much for how far away it is,” said Austin Bott, a junior studying natural resource management.

Doug Mayhew of Parking and Transportation services said that parking permits are sold on a one-for-one basis, and there is no oversell.

For the 883 students living at the on-campus apartments, there are three places to park. The closest and most expensive is $475 per academic year and is located in front of the complex’s Lodgepole building. It offers parking spaces for 196 students, all of which have been purchased.

However, nine spaces are currently unavailable until the Whitcomb Street Gateway project is finished in two weeks, wrote Richard Pott, facility planner and project coordinator for Housing and Dining Services. The lot also includes four state and service vehicle spaces and four Zipcar spaces.

The second option is located across Prospect Road near the Aggie Village Family complex. The lots have 175 spaces and the permits cost $300, all of which have been purchased.

The third option is remote parking at the south lot on Research Boulevard, located near the CSU tennis courts. The lot has 200 spaces and permits cost $150. Only 82 of the permits have been purchased for the lot, so 118 remain.

For Aggie village students, the south lot is a little less than a mile walk. Students who park here can utilize the Around the Horn Shuttle, which runs Monday through Saturday from approximately 7 a.m to 6:40 p.m.

“Prior to opening, we sent all Aggie Residents two separate emails that outlined both alternative transportation and parking options so residents could make informed decisions,” wrote Pott. “Our Aggie Village Eco Leaders are currently doing a Green Greeting with all residents to emphasize sustainability and the benefits of alternative transportation.”

For sophomore Business major Amanda Waters, who holds a permit to the closest lot, parking at Aggie Village hasn’t been quite as convenient as previous experiences.

“Last year was just super easy since there were parking lots right next to the dorms, at least for the south side of campus,” Waters said. “You could basically park anywhere and still be able to get to your dorm room or wherever you needed to go in a pretty prompt manner. You only have to walk a short distance. In comparison to Aggie Village, it just depends on which building you are (in) and where you are in that building.”

For other students, parking has not been a problem. Various students expressed that parking could be better, but it is not as bad as some students claim it to be.

“It’s no trouble for me to get a spot,” said Nolan Brumbach, sophomore business marketing major.

Christian Quah said he has not had any problems with the parking situation so far, and that parking “isn’t too bad.”

However, Junior Allison Spontarelli has faced multiple difficulties with her parking pass for the lot located near the Aggie Family complex. Besides the lot being a inconvenient distance for her, Spontarelli said she felt out of place parking there.

“It’s a very family-oriented apartment complex, and so you feel kind of awkward, like you’re in their way,” Spontarelli said.

Spontarelli said that she is worried about her safety during the current construction of the Prospect Road underpass.

“I don’t want to be near (the construction) because if something were to fall while I was trying to get back to the apartment, safety-wise that just doesn’t seem like a good idea to me to park over there (because of the need to walk past construction),” Spontarelli said.

The construction zone is currently fenced off, and the sidewalk near the construction is unavailable. During construction, pedestrians must use the sidewalk on the other side of the street.

“Whenever they are done (with the underpass) I might feel more comfortable about (parking there), but until then I just don’t,” Spontarelli said.

Safewalk is available to escort students to and from their cars, or anywhere they need to go on campus, as well as within a three block radius around campus starting at dusk.

Collegian Reporter Nicole Towne can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @nicole_towne21