Weekend crime update: Suspect shot and killed by police, bike vs. car hit-and-run

Thursday, August 25: Armed suspect shot and killed by police

7:22 p.m.: An armed male suspect was shot by Fort Collins Police on Thursday night following a 911 call by a female victim on 900 block of North Highway 287. The suspect, who was known to the victim, was later identified as 63-year-old Jerry Jackson.

When police arrived on scene, Jackson was brandishing a knife. The three officers on duty first tried to subdue the suspect with tasers. When the suspect continued to approach, the officers fired shots, ultimately killing the suspect.

copcar.jpg
Police responded to a 911 call Thursday night, which ended in a male suspect being shot by police. Photo by Natalie Dyer.

Jackson was pronounced deceased at the Medical Center of the Rockies. The victims at the scene were not injured. The officers involved have been place on paid administrative leave.

The Larimer County Critical Incident Response Team has been activated to investigate this incident.

Thursday, August 25: Car and bike hit-and-run

11:22 p.m.: Fort Collins Police services received a call notifying them of a car versus bicycle accident on Mulberry between Riverside and Lemay Avenue. A sedan was said to have fled after the collision and had last been seen traveling south on Lemay Avenue.

When police arrived on scene, 26-year-old Emily Clark was found laying in the left lane of eastbound mulberry street. Clark was then taken to Medical Center of the Rockies for treatment of her injuries.

Shortly after the incident, police located a Kia with collision damage after being notified of a suspicious vehicle near Mulberry street and Greenfield court. The driver, 31-year-old Kenneth Lejeune, was not injured. His car had damage consistent with a bicycle collision, and had also collided with various signs and objects.

The hit-and-run incident is under investigation and charges are pending. Drugs and/or alcohol are believed to be involved in the incident.

Saturday, August 27: State-wide Amber alert

9:15 a.m.: Colorado Springs police were notified of a domestic violence incident at the 5900 block of Castle Lane. A 39-year-old man was threatening to kill a woman and their 3-month-old child before taking the child.

Local police said that the suspect, Jonathan Cort Beatty, had made threats against the woman and the child after an altercation.

Beatty fled the home with the child in his Chevrolet pickup truck. An amber alert was issued at 3 p.m.

Beatty was found and taken into custody at around 4 p.m. The child was uninjured.

Saturday, August 27: Shooter turns self in after wounding brother

8:15 p.m.: Police were called by a 17-year-old male shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday night. He claimed that he shot his brother and then fled on foot and was turning himself in. He was involved in a shooting at 400 South Overland Trail.

Shortly after, the suspect was taken into custody without incident and was held on allegations of first degree assault, according to the Larimer County Sheriffs office. Due to his age, his identity has not been released.

The suspect’s brother was reportedly shot early Saturday. He was treated by EMS personnel for a gunshot wound to the left shoulder. He was then transported to Medical Center of the Rockies for further treatment.

Sunday, August 28: Car and motorcycle collision on Elizabeth Street

2:30 a.m.: Fort Collins Police Services was notified of a car versus motorcycle collision in the 1200 block of West Elizabeth Street. A Jeep Cherokee was pulling out of a parking lot when a motorcyclist collided with the side of the car driving west.

The driver of the jeep, Daniel Mansfield, and the occupants of the car were uninjured. The motorcyclist was immediately transported to Medical Center of the Rockies with life threatening injuries. He was later pronounced dead.

The Larimer County Coroners office will release the name of the deceased after speaking with next of kin. The incident is under investigation and charges are pending. Police believe speed may have contributed to the accident.

Collegian Reporter Allec Brust can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @Brustyyy.