4 new restaurants to Fort Collins

Waltzing Kangaroo

The Waltzing Kangaroo, located at 1109 W Elizabeth St, Fort Collins, CO 80521, is an Australian bakery that opened on March 14.

Taking 10 months to open in Fort Collins after signing the lease in September, this restaurant makes everything from scratch and is entirely handmade, with no msg or high fructose corn syrup.

The artisan meals are available like fast food restaurants, but all food is baked fresh throughout the day. According to owner Steve Phillips, the steak and gravy beef pie is the best place to start, while the other pies are more authentic. All pies range from $6 to $7.

“The restaurant has done really well and is really busy,” Phillips said. “The town is very accepting of us and has been excellent. The people in Fort Collins have been really nice.”

Longhorn Steakhouse

Longhorn Steakhouse, located at 3450 S College Ave, Fort Collins, CO 80525, opened March 28 and has joined the new Foothills Mall.

The restaurant opens at 11 a.m. for lunch and close at 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Dinner opens at 4 p.m. Longhorn Steakhouse is best known for their steak and Ribeye, while also serving soups, salads and sandwiches.

This season, the specials are Bison Meatballs, Smoked Gouda Green Beans, Loaded Potato Soup, Blue Ridge Wedge Salad, and Cinnamon Bourbon Bites. Meals can range anywhere from $4.99 to $28.49.

“The restaurant has done really well, just like we expected,” Richard Kerr, The Longhorn Steakhouse manager. “We have an excellent lunch special every time.”

Loafing Shed

Recently opened and located at 1939 Jessup Drive, the Loafing Shed took eight months for development. It’s a locally owned bakery that serves lunch and dinner, with light breakfast and bakery goods on the weekends.

The Loafing Shed serves salads, sandwiches, soups and pizza, as well as adult beverages, such as wine and beer. Prices range from $3 to $10.95.

The Loafing Shed opens at 11 a.m. Monday through Friday and at 8 a.m. on the weekends. They close at 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.

The Loafing Shed offers baked goods to select restaurants, coffee shops and other venues.

On August 25, the Loafing Shed’s Chef, Joel, and baker, Preston, will host a hands-on pizza making class from 6 to 8 p.m. Tickets are on sale here.

The Twisted Noodle

Located at Campus West Fort Collins 1135 W. Elizabeth St. Suite 135 Fort Collins, CO 80521, the Twisted Noodle opened November 11 of last year. They serve all homemade and fresh pastas, salads, and sandwiches, with the option of being gluten free.

Using locally grown produce, Longmont’s Sweet Escapes gluten free bread and pasta, Colorado Blue Moose products, Boulder sausage and whole grain pasta, the Twisted Noodle was voted in the top three best new restaurants and businesses in the Times Call 2015 Reader’s Choice Awards.

From ravioli, to caesar salad, to club sandwiches, they are known for their cleanliness and quality of their food and business.

“We really appreciate the student business as well as all the families that come to support us,” said Anthony Haddad, Twisted Noodle director of operations. “We’ve enjoyed catering several times for the CSU basketball as well as catering for other parts of the college. We look forward to being here a long time.”

Collegian Reporter Mackenzie Eldred can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @KenzieEldred