Bounty hunter and felons involved in Wednesday shooting near Rocky Mountain High School

(Natalie Dyer / Collegian)
(Natalie Dyer / Collegian)

Update 8:21 a.m.: Fort Collins Police confirmed that Rogelio Sanchez and Lupe Sanchez were arrested Friday morning on prior felony charges.

The shooting incident is still under active investigation.

Original:

Rogelio Sanchez and Lupe Sanchez were identified as the two victims in the shooting Wednesday evening in west Fort Collins, according to a recent Fort Collins Police press release. 

The two were reported missing from the Medical Center of the Rockies this morning, where they were being treated for non-life-threatening gunshot wounds. The two left the hospital without notifying staff or checking out. Rogelio and Lupe Sanchez are both wanted on active felony warrants. 

At approximately 9 p.m. Wednesday night, Vonshay McCarther reported his involvement in the shooting to Fort Collins Police. McCarther said he works as a private Fugitive Recovery Agent, commonly referred to as a bounty hunter. 

According to the release, McCarther said he contacted 32-year-old Lupe Sanchez regarding a bond revocation when the incident occurred near the Silverplume Apartments, just west of Rocky Mountain High School. 

McCarther said he was standing outside when Lupe Sanchez and 24-year-old Rogelio Sanchez drove towards him. In response, McCarther fired multiple rounds in the direction of their vehicle. 

No other law enforcement agencies had been involved prior to Fort Collins Police arriving. According to the press release, McCarther is a private citizen and is not employed by any government organizations. 

No charges have been filed, but the case remains under investigation. 

Police are requesting anyone with information about the incident to contact Sergeant Paul Wood at (970)-224-6132.

Those who wish to remain anonymous can contact Crime Stoppers at (970)-221-6868 or online atwww.stopcriminals.org

Collegian News Editor Erin Douglas can be reached at news@collegian.com or on twitter @erinmdouglas23.