Bohemian Foundation to replace Washington’s Sports Bar with new music venue

Laporte Venue LLC, a new branch of the Bohemian Foundation, plans to create a music hall in Old Town, taking over the location at Washington’s Sports Bar and Grill, who will  be closing doors the weekend of April 29th.

The venue will be centered in the vibrant music scene of Fort Collins. Although planning is still in the works, the music hall is estimated to be able to accommodate 750 people and will provide a “unique experience for the Fort Collins music community”, according to a Bohemian Foundation press release.

The bar will be open to the Fort Collins community up to and including its closing weekend April 30th. There will be a “last call” closing party taking place Friday April 29th with live music starting at 9 p.m. The party will continue Saturday April 30th, the last day the bar will be open. The party is open to the public and includes dancing, drink specials and a featured DJ.

Tom Scharf, director of music programs at Bohemian Foundation, believes the new music hall will be a much needed addition to old town.

“The Front Range is booming right now and Colorado continues to evolve as a great place for music,” Scharf said. “While the Music scene is already very rich in Fort Collins, we’ve been hearing from musicians and fans that there is a demand for more performance space.”

Wash Bar has been an Old Town staple for around 30 years. Even though he is sad to see it go, Wash Bar owner Shane Belcher supports the Bohemian Foundation’s new music hall project.

“I would love to thank all those that supported (us) over the last 30 years,” Belcher said. “There is going to be a lot of tears shed, but at the same time I do believe it will be good for Old Town.”

The estimated opening date for the music hall is yet to be decided. According to a press release, the Bohemian Foundation intends to renovate the historic 1897 building in a way that will enhance its natural structure. 

“Our goal is to open the venue in late 2017 or early 2018.” Scharf said. “We are excited, and so far the response from the community has been very positive.”

Collegian Reporter Allec Brust can be reached at news@collegian.com or via Twitter at @Brustyyy.