CSU receives anonymous donation to use toward new research institution

IBTT-Feb_20.pdf
(Rendering courtesy of Colorado State University.)

Colorado State University received a generous $20 million donation from an anonymous racehorse breeder. The money will be used to help build a state-of-the-art medicine facility focused on regenerative research.

The new Institute for Biologic Translational Therapies will be on the CSU South Medical Campus, which is near the James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital off Drake Road, according to Coleman Cornelius, the director of marketing and communication for the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. 

The donation is part of a larger fundraiser CSU announced in February with the goal of raising $1 billion by 2020. The fundraising goal is intended to better the University as a whole, benefiting scholarship programs, facilities and ensuring the University’s financial stability in the years to come.

Specifically, the anonymous $20 million donation will benefit CSU science programs in the future. According to a University release, the “generous donations allow construction of the CSU Institute for Biologic Translational Therapies, which promises to tap the body’s healing powers for innovative treatments that improve animal and human health.”

This donation is among multiple that will help build this new institute. Among the donors are horse breeders John and Leslie Malone, who pledged a record-breaking $42.5 million dollars to the institute in 2014.

“We are deeply grateful for another tremendous gift to help establish the Institute for Biologic Translational Therapies,” CSU President Tony Frank said in a University release. “This support, combined with the transformational gift from John and Leslie Malone, will advance Colorado State’s work in a new era of veterinary and translational medicine.”

The new facility is expected to break ground at the end of 2016. The facility will focus on innovative treatments for both human and animal health.

Collegian Reporter Allec Brust can be reached at news@collegian.com or via Twitter @Brustyyy.