19 awards presented at annual Fraternity and Sorority Life Awards

Savannah Hoag

Members of all 43 recognized fraternity and sorority chapters on CSU’s campus gathered Monday night in the Lory Student Center to recognize the achievements of fellow Greek life members. 

(Photo credit: Savannah Hoag.)

The awards, which take place every February, embody the idea that members of Greek life can “ascend to greater heights,” a phrase used by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

FSL believes in the growth and achievement of Greek life members by having them follow specific non-negotiables, more commonly known as CLIMB. (This stands for Change Agents, Lifelong Learning and Critical Thinking, Inclusivity and Social Justice, Meaning Making and Purpose, Building Coalitions and Connections.) 

“We call it elevation, so to recognize growth and excellence in a number of categories both individually and as a chapter,” said Lindsay Sell, director of Fraternity and Sorority Life. “We’re really proud of everybody and we try to recognize a variety of things that are important to us as a community.”

Awards recognized at the ceremony vary from community service to personal growth to leadership development.

“It gives the different organizations recognition for their hard work, and I enjoy that,” said AJ Jacques, a junior Business Administration major in Theta Chi. 

Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life Lindsay Sell announces start of the 2016 FSL Awards. (Photo courtesy of McKenna Kowalik.)

Among the awards was the 1st year of Rho Lambda, the National Sorority Leadership Recognition Society, which is designed to recognize the women affiliated in the sorority community for their hard work in leadership and service.

Senior business administration major Sergio Almeida said he appreciates the FSL awards because they recognize of the successes of different members of the Greek community. 

“It paints the organization in a positive light and is important in demonstrating what other people are doing well,” Jacques said. 

Award Winners

Emerging Fraternal Leaders: Kristina Lang, Kappa Alpha Theta and Kevin Omaña Mendoza, Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Inc. 

Excellence in Chapter Management: Phi Delta Theta, Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc., Chi Omega 

Scholars of the Year: Adam LeJeune, Alpha Sigma Phi and Lauren Schall, Pi Lambda Chi Sorority, Inc.  

Excellence in Academic Achievement: Theta Chi, Kappa Delta Chi Sorority, Inc., Kappa Alpha Theta

Outstanding Campus Involvement: Allec Brust, Gamma Phi Beta

Excellence in Community Service & Philanthropy: Phi Delta Theta, Pi Lambda Chi Sorority, Inc., Kappa Delta

Outstanding Community Service & Philanthropy: Maggie Leonard, Chi Omega

Excellence in Intake, Recruitment & Retention: Phi Delta Theta, Delta Xi Nu Multicultural Sorority, Inc., Gamma Phi Beta  

Chapter Advisers of the Year: Paul Pettinger, Phi Kappa Theta and Megan Patti, Gamma Phi Beta

Excellence in External Relations: FarmHouse Fraternity, Pi Lambda Chi Sorority, Inc., Zeta Tau Alpha  

Campus Partnership Award: Thea Rounsaville, Order of the Torch

Excellence in Risk Management & Harm Reduction: Alpha Tau Omega, Pi Lambda Chi Sorority, Inc., Zeta Tau Alpha

Living the Ritual: Bryan Woods, Interfraternity Council and Olivia Jordan, Kappa Delta

Excellence in Membership Development: FarmHouse Fraternity, Kappa Delta Chi Sorority, Inc., Kappa Alpha Theta

Diversity, Social Justice, and Inclusion Award: Jessica Galvan, Alpha Phi Gamma Sorority, Inc. and Meaghan Booth, Delta Delta Delta 

The Ascend Award: Alpha Gamma Rho

Chapter Presidents of the Year: Braden Wilson, FarmHouse Fraternity and Kyrie Hill, Kappa Alpha Theta

The Road Less Traveled Award: Pi Lambda Chi Sorority, Inc. 

Members of the Year: Kayla Cittadino, Kappa Delta and Lisbel Torres, Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. 

Collegian Reporter Savannah Hoag can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @sav_hoag.