City Council to consider updates to breastfeeding and topless ordinance

Erik Petrovich

The City of Fort Collins will consider updates to public nudity laws at the next city council meeting on Oct. 20, which could allow women to go topless in public.

Under the current ordinance, women may not be topless from the waist up in public, including those who are nursing a child. The updates city council is considering are twofold: one option would allow all women to go topless in public in the city, while the other would allow an explicit exception to public nudity laws for women who are breastfeeding.

The city invites the public to share their thoughts on the updates and why they should or should not be passed on their website for public nudity laws.

Brandon Snavely, a Fort Collins resident, brought up his family concerns with the proposed updates at the Oct. 6 city council meeting.

“Changing the public nudity ordinance to allow women to be topless in public would actually take away the choice of these families and children on whether or not they want to be exposed to public nudity,” Snavely said.

In 2010, Boulder enacted updates to its public nudity code that allowed women to be topless in the city. Earlier this year, topless activists walked down Pearl Street to advocate for topless rights as part of the Free the Nipple campaign.

Collegian City Beat Reporter Erik Petrovich can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @EAPetrovich.