Semester at Sea building under construction near CSU campus

The Semester at Sea offices will now have a home in Fort Collins.

A new Semester at Sea building broke ground last week, beginning the process of moving the program’s offices from Charlottesville, Virginia, to Fort Collins.

The building will be located at 2243 Center Ave., and Semester at Sea will occupy the top floor of the three-story building built and owned by the CSU Research Foundation, according to CSU spokesperson Mike Hooker. The other two floors will be available for lease for the University or other outside tenants. The total size of the building is about 30,000 square feet, and Semester at Sea will occupy 10,000 square feet.

https://instagram.com/p/68GAvHGtYc/?taken-by=coloradostateuniversity

According to Hooker, the CSU Research Foundation is constructing the building to be LEED certified.

The CSU and Semester at Sea partnership will officially begin June 1, 2016, which is when Semester at Sea’s contract with the University of Virginia will expire.

According to Hooker, this partnership will provide CSU students with unique scholarship opportunities to travel through Semester at Sea. This partnership also provides opportunities for faculty members to teach abroad.

Since its start in 1963, Semester at Sea has gone on 114 voyages on five ships with four academic sponsors, according to SOURCE. Over 60,000 students from 1,700 universities have participated in the program.

The number of CSU students studying abroad has increased 70 percent in the past five years, according to SOURCE.

With over 2,000 international students representing over 90 countries, and with 20 percent of tenure-track faculty coming from foreign countries, CSU represents the focus Semester at Sea wants to put on internationalization.

“Our shared commitment to student achievement and innovative, globally-engaged education makes this a wonderful fit, and we look forward to a strong and exciting collaboration,” CSU President Tony Frank said in a SOURCE article.

Collegian Assistant News Editor Sady Swanson can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @sadyswan.