Student-only deals to take advantage of this year

According to Business Insider, the biggest issue to a college student is the cost of higher education. In addition to tens of thousands of dollars of student debt, students have to take into consideration their first apartment’s rent, weekly food costs and the price of Netflix. In a college city like Fort Collins, where a fifth of the population is made up of university students, many local businesses and service providers offer some kind of student-only deals.

Here are some of the discounts and deals that should be taken advantage of this coming year. All coupons mentioned in this article can be found in Ram Deals fall 2015 edition.

Transportation

…getting around town isn’t such a burden with discounts and public transportation…

TransFort and MAX bus routes: Free travel for Colorado State University students with a RamCard ID. MAX is perfect for getting up and down college with little to no traffic, while TransFort offers bus routes all across the city.

Peloton Cycles: Free tire tube with purchase of installation, and 15 percent off total purchase with coupon.

Recycled Cycles: 15 percent off of any bike purchase and buy-one-get-one on tire tubes with coupon.

Brakes Plus: 10 percent off total purchase with coupon/ID.

Apparel/beauty

…it would be cheaper to go natural, but here’s some better options for being in public…

Rams Bookstore: 20 percent off any CSU gear with coupon.

Lucky 27 Barbershop: $2 off a haircut for every CSU student with an ID, and $4 off a straight razor shave with a coupon.

Europa Salon and Spa: Free haircut on first visit, $45 Brazilian first visit and $10 off any service worth $35 or more with coupon.

LA Nails: Variety of coupons found in the Ram Deals coupon book, including 20 percent off any waxing service.

Thrift Shops: They may not have the best or newest clothing, but they certainly stock the cheapest. Take advantage of these to cut major clothing and furniture costs.

Entertainment

…there is always something to do in Fort Collins, especially out of town…

Carmike Cinemas: Tuesday movies are $5.50, and for students, movies are always $7 with a CSU ID.

Christy Sports: Half off a daily ski or snowboard rental with coupon.

Summit of Windsor: Their massive variety of deals, aimed at college nights out, are available in the Ram Deals coupon book, including free game passes and BOGO deals on food.

Gearage Outdoor Sports: 25 percent off bike tune up and $25 off a new or used bike with coupon.

Food/restaurants

…for that special treat or as an alternative to the dining halls…

Bluebird Cafe: BOGO half-off on all entrees with coupon. Only open for breakfast and lunch hours, so great for a quick lunch date.

Jax Fish House: Burger/poboy and a beer for $10 with coupon. Jax offers a dessert instead of a beer for those who do not drink.

Wahoo’s: Free meal! No joke here, Wahoo’s offers one taco or enchilada with rice and beans at no cost with coupon.

Aspen Grille: BOGO half-off on all entrees with coupon. Aspen Grille is run by CSU students in the Lory Student Center as part of the restaurant operations class (RRM 340).

Nick’s Homestyle Pizza: Free slice of pizza and a free salad with purchase of a 16-inch pizza, both with coupon.

Delivery and easy food

…for when you’re hungry but you can’t move and don’t want to make anything…

Blackjack Pizza: A multitude of coupons taking up over four pages in the RamDeals coupon book, including everything from cheaper pizza to free ice cream.

Pizza Casbah: $1 pizza slices Monday and Tuesday, $3 BOGO giant cheese slices with coupon.

Yung’s Chinese: $2 off delivery and BOGO half-off on appetizers, as well as four other deals in the RamDeals coupon book.

Tom and Chee: 30 percent off soups and sandwiches with a student ID and coupon.

OrderUp: OrderUp is a service a lot of CSU students use to order food from restaurants and eateries that would not normally deliver. There is a delivery charge and a minimum total cost of foods that differs between restaurants, but with over 75 businesses served, OrderUp is a great way to get that specific craving straight to the door

Other local deals

for the discounts that didn’t fit in anywhere else…

Kind Creations: A sponsor for the Collegian’s Roastin’ with Rick series. 20 percent off any one purchase, and $20 off a Kind Creations branded vape pen with coupon.

Tribal Rites: 20 percent off all jewelry with a value of $50 or less.

Millennium Tattoo: $40 tattoo and BOGO half-off on all piercings.

Sun Bear Tanning: 10 percent off a 30-day tanning package, and buy three get two free on individual tanning sessions.

Not all the deals in the city are listed here – there simply isn’t enough space for them all. Students should always show their CSU ID when making a purchase. It may end up being cheaper.

Collegian Reporter Erik Petrovich can be reached at news@collegian.com and on Twitter @EAPetrovich.