Students United for Reproductive Justice hosts Sex Trivia

Kira Mazzola kicks off Sex Trivia night at The Mayor in Old Town hosted by Students United for Reproduction Justice amongst a large crowd of contestants. The event tested and informed contestants while giving out a variety of gifts like condoms and t-shirts. (Photo credit: Austin Simpson)

Students wondering how long moose sex lasts or where Napoleon’s penis is currently located might want to check out Sex Trivia.

Hosted by Students United for Reproductive Justice every semester, Sex Trivia will be at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Mayor of Old Town. The event is 21+ and is a team trivia event with questions related to sex and sexual health. No pre-registration is required, according to SURJ Event Planner Connor Schmidt.

There will be door prizes, prizes between each round, and first, second and third place teams will win prizes donated by local businesses.

SURJ is a pro-choice student organization that hosts events and does activism around campus as well as the community around reproductive health and sex education.

“We hand out a lot of condoms on campus, that’s probably what we’re most well known for,” SURJ Co-President Kira Mazzola said.

Mazzola said they are working to either create another Sex Trivia event or maybe move the location to be more inclusive of those that are under 21, but the Mayor of Old Town has been the location of Sex Trivia since it started four years ago.

“We have such a wide variety of questions,” Mazzola said. “We throw in some fun ones.”

Along with other events, the group also does some political activism and worked on the Vote No on Amendment 67 campaign last fall, Mazzola said.

“We’re trying to shift more towards campus activism and getting folks knowing about the issues that are affecting young people,” Mazzola said.

SURJ Treasurer Lisa Baker said she enjoyed being involved in the activism in the past election, and that this organization aligned well with her beliefs.

“I’ve always been very interested in proper sexual education,” Baker said. “But also making sure that women have access to, not only contraception, but education, and I’m a pretty strong pro-choice believer.”

According to Mazzola, the group is widening their range from sexual-health to activism with gender issues and preventing sexual assault.

Schmidt said that the organization educates people about sex and the things related to sex.

“There’s a lot to it,” Schmidt said. “We talk about gender, we talk about STDs. … A lot of different things that deal with topics that really don’t come up in mainstream media.”

Baker said the organization promotes sex education.

“We promote not only how to find contraception, but we try and help people know where to find it,” Baker said. “With events like Sex Trivia we try and promote people knowing, not only about their bodies, but sex in general.”

The group has also created an anonymous online question asking forum, called Carnal Q&A, for people to ask anything sexual-health related or other related questions they may not be able to ask otherwise.

“I’m happy with where that’s going,” Mazzola said.

Mazzola said that any students interested in joining can sign up to get emails from the organization on RamLink, or they can come to a meeting Thursday nights at 7 p.m. in Lory Student Center 310. People can also be added to the email list by coming to events and signing up.

Collegian City Beat Reporter Sady Swanson can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @sadyswan.