In memory: Michael Robert Habel

Michael Robert Habel, Sept. 12, 1992 – June 5, 2014
(photo credit: Today @Colorado State)

Michael Robert Habel passed away on June 5, departing from his family at home and at Colorado State University. Unexpectedly, while visiting his parents’ cabin near Walden, his heart stopped.

Michael was born on September 12, 1992, to Bob and Karen (Kraft) Habel in Fort Collins. Later he graduated from Rocky Mountain High School and his passion for electronics guided him to pursue electrical engineering as a senior at CSU. He was a tinkerer, building circuit boards and rigging them for a Christmas light show each year. The proceeds he collected from the show would go to several non-profit organizations. In addition, he spent much of his time at the University with the CSU Little Shop of Physics, where he taught young minds about science.

Outside of school, Michael spent his time as a musician. He enjoyed swing dancing, the big band era music as well as jazz, country, rock and contemporary Christian. Instruments never challenged him because he mastered anything he touched. His moves on the dance floor matched his enthusiasm for listening and playing, as he spent many hours dancing with the CSU Swing Society.

Michael is survived by his father, Robert, and mother Karen, both of Fort Collins; brother Zach Habel, of Fort Collins; his grandmother, Lucille Kraft, of Fort Collins; his uncles and aunts, Mark Habel, of Fort Collins; Chris Crego, of Fort Collins; Dave and Shelley Kooser, of Colorado Springs; and Bob and Ronelda Kraft, of Fort Collins; and many cousins.

His wonderful spirit for life and many talents will be celebrated at a 10 a.m. service on Thursday, June 12, at Resurrection Fellowship, Loveland.

Collegian Managing Editor Lawrence Lam can be reached at news@collegian.com.