Community Briefs for 8/29/12

Pulitzer nominated author Nicholas Carr speaking at the Hilton

Boulder resident and Pulitzer nominated author and journalist Nicholas Carr will discuss his latest novel “The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains,” which was born from a column he wrote for the Atlantic titled “Is Google Making Us Stupid?”

The former executive editor of the Harvard Business Review, contributor for the New York Times, the Guardian and Wired, Carr’s novel explores technology’s and, specifically, the Internet’s impact on the chemistry of a human’s brain.

Carr’s speech will take place tonight at 7 p.m. at the Hilton Fort Collins located at 425 W Prospect Ave. The event is free, though seating is limited.

CSU athletics hires new associate AD for sales and marketing

Jason Layton was announced as the new senior associate athletic director of sales and marketing by Director of Athletics Jack Graham on Tuesday afternoon.

Layton joins the Rams athletic department from the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and his primary responsibilities will be generating revenue through ticket sales, corporate sponsorships,
promotions, licensing and multi-media rights.

He will also oversee external communications for the department including branding, CSU’s athletic website and social media.

“He brings a wealth of experience and expertise to Colorado State that will benefit our entire Department,” Graham said in a press release. “Under Jason’s leadership, I have every confidence that these key divisions will thrive and deliver the enthusiasm, awareness and revenue that are so critical for CSU athletics to meet its goals and objectives.”

Men’s basketball will feature nine nationally televised games

New CSU men’s basketball coach Larry Eustachy released the Rams’ 2012-13 schedule, which will include nine nationally televised games.

The nationally televised games will be shown on both the CBS and NBC Sports Networks.

“It’s exciting that we have nine nationally televised games, but I’ll be happy when we have 16 or 24,” Eustachy said in a press release. “It’s a good start, and it’s exciting for our fans.”

Of the nine nationally televised games, eight are against Mountain West opponents San Diego State, UNLV, Nevada and New Mexico. The remaining game is Jan. 2 versus UTEP.

Other games that highlight the Rams’ 2012-13 schedule are Montana, Denver, CU-Boulder, Washington