Best places to buy cannabis in FoCo

Doing pot is cool.

But choosing a dispensary to buy from can be daunting if you don’t have a lot of experience. There are several factors that determine the quality of a dispensary and with all the different marketing schemes, it can be hard to tell if you’re getting ripped off.

Thankfully, this guide will aid in the decision-making process by offering suggestions on where to buy your cannabis flower based on a few important criteria.

Price

The price of your bud depends largely on the amount you are purchasing. Natural Alternatives, located on North College Avenue, can get you out the door with a gram of flower for $10 after tax. When it comes to full-sized, top-tier bud, NA can’t be beat at gram pricing in Fort Collins.

For larger amounts, Infinite Wellness Center, also located on North College, has one of the best pricing systems around. Because IWC grows their own product, they price it based on amount availability. Surplus, or recently yielded bud, is priced at the cheapest or tier three level, while less-abundant cannabis is sold for a premium. Because all of their strains are on tier rotation, you can walk out with an ounce of your favorite strain for $150 plus tax.

Customer Experience

Friendly budtenders who divulge their knowledge and encourage questions are perfect for someone who is unsure of what they want to buy. For those who know exactly what they want, a talkative budtender can dampen a dispensary experience by adding to purchasing time. For customers who want to get in and get out, Vert’s dispensary in the Campus West neighborhood will see to that. They have a decent number of budtenders, their purchasing process is painless and the lines are almost always short.

All of the dispensaries in Fort Collins have a seemingly knowledgeable staff, but the dispensaries with a price premium like Organic Alternatives will be more open to answer your questions knowing that customers could be getting their bud for a cheaper price. Dispensaries like IWC and The Green Solution offer online ordering with a pick-up area separate from the original line. This can be particularly useful if you are trying to beat the crowd on a Friday afternoon.

Selection

Most Colorado flower is going to get you really high, so you can disregard the tiered quality systems in dispensaries.

Quality bud can be found at any dispensary in FoCo, but amount and strain selection vary greatly from one dispensary to the next. Because IWC grows their own bud, their menu tends to stay pretty consistent in terms of strains. This can actually be a good thing if you’re someone who enjoys indulging in the same strain, time and time again.

When I first experienced legal weed, I wanted to see the differences between all of the strains and figure out which strains paired best with certain activities. For this purpose, I recommend the Leafly app, which can be downloaded on Android or iPhone. The app lets users peruse the menu of any dispensary in the country as long as that dispensary uses the app (most of them do). The app breaks down prices and reveals the various deals on tap at the dispensary.

All in all, there is no single dispensary that is vastly better than the others in all three topic areas.

Knowing which products you are looking for can make choosing a dispensary easy, but if you have no idea what you want, that also has its advantages. When in doubt, use the Leafly app for questions and no matter what, at least you’re not buying from a dealer.

Collegian reporter Carson Lipe can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @carsonlipe