Taste of Philly offers authentic Philadelphia flavor from Colorado

graphic illustration of a bowl of spaghetti
(Graphic illustration by Abby Flitton | The Collegian)

In a college town like Fort Collins, it is often difficult to discern which stores are local favorites and which are bigger chains, jumping at the bit for a location in a busy city full of hungry students. But few can boast their status as both, save for a small restaurant on South College Avenue: Taste of Philly.

The 8” Hoagie Philly Cheesesteak and fries from Taste of Philly. (Pratyoosh Kashyap | The Collegian)

When you walk into the Old Town location, you might be surprised by how small the restaurant actually is. With a simple check-out counter, soft drink bar and five or six tables, Taste of Philly isn’t too overwhelming, despite its history as a significantly larger chain. It has big windows overlooking College Avenue and a big American flag draping down on the wall. It might look quaint, but in the few times I’ve been there, I wasn’t dining alone. The restaurant always had diners seated at the tables or waiting in line behind me to order. 

In a college town where students from around the country can be found studying, Taste of Philly is a place where students can feel at home, with food from their own timezone, while it is also an opportunity to try new things.” 

Now, the restaurant isn’t just located in Fort Collins at 301 S. College Ave.; locations can be found all along the I-25 corridor, including Colorado Springs, Greeley and Loveland. Despite its Philadelphia flavors, the chain is a Colorado creation.

A takeout order from Taste of Philly. (Pratyoosh Kashyap | The Collegian)

Its location on Fort Collins’ main street could find customers inquiring into the world of cheesesteaks, curious to try something different. Whatever the case, in a college town where students from around the country can be found studying, Taste of Philly is a place where students can feel at home, with food from their own time zone, while it is also an opportunity to try new things.

At least that’s what I thought when I went. I had never had a cheesesteak before I tried Taste of Philly’s. An 8-inch original cheesesteak will only run around $8.50 before tax, and when I tried it, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The chopped steak mixed with grilled white onions and white American cheese all on a split hoagie bun was the perfect amount for a hungry college girl, and if I felt that I had wanted more, the 12-inch original cheesesteak is only $3 more at $11.25. 

If I was paid more than minimum wage, I would go there much more often. They offer more than just cheesesteaks too; you can also find assorted hoagies, chicken tenders, wings and salads on their available online menu. Also, if you can, I wouldn’t forget to order their cannolis. They’re more than likely sold out because of their popularity, but that shouldn’t disinterest you. This tasty Philly dessert is worth a try.

Alexandra MacDonald can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @alexandramacc.