The Collegian reviews: Fort Collins’ hidden BBQ gem, JoJo’s

collegian reviews
(Collegian file graphic)

West Campus is no stranger to the food scene, with a vast array of restaurants and takeout joints that cater to college students. JoJo’s Colorado BBQ and Sandwiches, a new barbecue restaurant located at 1501 W. Elizabeth St., is no exception.

I originally thought this was going to be similar to Serious Texas Bar-B-Q, where you walk up to order, and you can sit down inside or choose to take it home with you. However, when I got to JoJo’s, I realized that it wasn’t a dine-in restaurant but a walk-up window inside Munchies Super Market.

When we opened up the boxes, the aroma filled my car, and the food looked delicious. I took one bite of my Dirt-Nasty JoJo’s and decided that this was going to be one of my new favorite places to eat.”

When I walked up to the window, I was greeted with enthusiasm by the cashier, and she made sure to help with any questions we might have had. I looked at the menu and saw a variety of different things that I had never seen before. They even had grilled cheese with barbecue brisket. The store also incorporates a fun way to figure out what you want, especially if you suffer from indecision, which was a skillet dart board with some of its most popular foods as options.

I decided that I should try one of its original JoJo meals. I ordered the Dirt-Nasty JoJo’s, which consists of oven-roasted potato wedges, queso, pico de gallo and pulled pork. My friend ordered the Diablo Meaty Mac, which is macaroni and cheese topped with pulled pork and bacon breadcrumbs.

It didn’t take too long for us to get our food. While waiting, we were able to look around Munchies Super Market and get a drink. The smell of the food was agonizing because we were so hungry, and it smelled so good. Once we got our food, we went back to the car and started eating it there.

When we opened up the boxes, the aroma filled my car, and the food looked delicious. I took one bite of my Dirt-Nasty JoJo’s and decided that this was going to be one of my new favorite places to eat. I also took a bite of my friend’s Diablo Meaty Mac, and, personally, I am not a big fan of mac and cheese, but it was delicious.

We got a lot of food for the price that we paid. My only wish is that my food had more pulled pork, but that’s just me — I like a lot of pulled pork because that is one of my favorite things to eat. My friend that I went with absolutely loved it and wants to go back already.

This is a great restaurant to eat at if you are like me and love barbecue. It’s a great place and close to campus, so you can grab a quick bite to eat. You can even order it to be delivered to your door if you don’t want to go in and wait for it. However, I would suggest going in because of the amazing staff and the fresh flavor.

Kadyn Thorpe can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @ThorpeKadyn.