Come fly with Travis Scott in his new Netflix documentary

Netflix and Travis Scott’s collaboration, “Look Mom I Can Fly,” was released on Aug. 28. The documentary follows the process of recording and producing Scott’s 2018 album “Astroworld” as well as his following tour, “Astroworld – Wish You Were Here.”

The film includes landmarks in Scott’s life and career, including the birth of his child, Stormi, and the creation of his record label, Cactus Jack Records.

The film opens with a quick interview of Scott on a rollercoaster discussing the impact that “Astroworld” had on him and the listeners. This is one of the few times that anyone in the documentary addresses the camera directly. Almost all of the film’s story is told through footage of his tours and studio sessions. 

The tour footage shows how much Scott cares about making his shows perfect. Scenes show him getting upset with venue employees about making every detail adhere to his vision. Another scene shows Scott trying to get everyone involved in his show that would lead to his arrest and a charge for inciting a riot in 2017. 

“Look Mom I Can Fly” shows a lot of Scott’s recording process, like him hearing a beat in the car and immediately going to the studio to record verses. One scene shows Scott hearing Drake’s “Sicko Mode” for the first time and becoming excited to finish his album. The creation of Cactus Jack shows Scott being heavily involved to ensure that his artists, Sheck Wes, Don Toliver and Chase B, all meet their full potential. It also shows him helping them in their own recording process. This part of the film should have been a larger part of it, as it was more interesting than the constant touring footage.

“Look Mom I Can Fly” is available to stream on Netflix. 

In addition to Scott’s musical process, the film cuts between old home video footage of him with his family. This contrasts with his more recent family matters, such as the birth of his daughter, Stormi, with Kylie Jenner. It becomes clear that Scott’s family and friends are important to him and supportive of him every step of the way. 

This documentary can be hard to follow. With no continuous narrator, it seems messy as it constantly goes back and forth between tours, studio time and family life. The story is somewhat weak and leaves a lot for you to fill in the gaps. Additionally, the documentary wasn’t really necessary given Scott’s openness in interviews and on social media. 

Overall, “Look Mom I Can Fly” documents Scott’s high energy tour and recording process, and it is worth the watch if you enjoy his music.

Dominic Brazeau can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @DomBrazeau.