Eleventh annual FoCoMX highlights local music scene

• Silver and Gold, an indie-alternative band, performs at Washington’s Saturday evening for the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Extra Gold, a local band from the Denver area, plays country/bluegrass music at Equinox Brewing as a part of the 11th annual FoCoMX April 26. (Alyssa Uhl | Collegian)

• Post Paradise, a rock-pop band that incorporates a cello, performs at the Aggie Theatre Saturday night for the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Lead singer and guitar player Nick Duarte of Post Paradise performs at the Aggie Theatre April 27 during FoCoMX. (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

• Adrienne Ray Ash, a singer-songwriter that writes vulnerable, catchy and romantic music, performs at the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery’s Dome Theater for the 11th annual FoCoMX. She is also the guitarist and vocalist for Plasma Canvas. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Plasma Canvas, a punk band that describes themselves as loud, catchy and abrasive, performs at Hodi’s Half Note Friday night for the 11th annual FoCoMX. Plasma Canvas is based in Fort Collins and spread a message of inclusivity. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• South to Cedars, a feel-good Folk’n’roll band from Colorado, performs on Friday afternoon at New Belgium Brewing for the 11th annual FoCoMX. South to Cedars is a country-bluegrass-Americana band that debuted in 2015. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Mama Lenny and the Remedy, an R&B-soul-funk band, performs at Avogadro’s Number Friday night for the 11th annual FoCoMX. Mama Lenny and the Remedy has performed around northern Colorado since 2011 and combines soul, funk, rock, blues and disco to create their sound. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• I am the Owl, a metal-punk-hardcore band, performs at Hodi’s Half Note Friday night for the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Banshee Tree, a gypsy trance funk band from Boulder, performs at the Colorado Room on Friday night for the 11th annual FoCoMX. Banshee Tree, which takes influence from early jazz and swing, is going on tour in May 2019. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Autumn Burn, a hard rock band from Fort Collins, performs Friday night at Hodi’s Half Note for the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Alana Rolfe plays violin and sings for the local Fort Collins band Stella Luce, a quirky blend of indie-rock, ethnic strings, and electronic experimentation at Aggie Theatre as a part of the 11th annual FoCoMX April 26. (Alyssa Uhl | Collegian)

• Charlie Maddocks from the band Holdfast. performs at the Aggie Theatre April 26 during the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

• Michael and Charlie Maddocks from the band Holdfast perform at the Aggie Theatre April 26 during the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

• Native Station, a baroque pop-rock band based in Colorado, performs at the Drunken Monkey Friday evening for the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• “I like to sing these songs because I feel that it honors my mother who passed away last year” said Azanet Rodriguez as the singer-songwriter performs the songs “Un tiempo para todo” and “Messenger Angel” at Equinox Brewing during the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Alyssa Uhl | Collegian)

• My Body Sings Electric performs at the Aggie Theatre April 26 during the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

• Thirteen nails, a groovy metal-punk band from Fort Collins, performs at the Whisk(e)y Friday evening for the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Funky Business, a funky soul pop band from northern Colorado, performs Friday afternoon at New Belgium Brewing for the 11th annual FoCoMX. At Funky Business’ performance, it didn’t take long before people started to stand up and dance to their R&B-soul-funk music. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• The Velveteers, a heavy rock and roll trio from Denver, performs Friday night at the Aggie Theatre for the 11th annual FoCoMX. The Velveteers, which released an EP in 2018, filled up the Aggie Theatre for their performance. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• People dance at the Silent Disco, an event where people put on headphones and dance to music while the surroundings are silent, in Old Town Square for the 11th annual FoCoMX. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Blakeye (left) and Nollij (right) DJ for the Sound Off Silent Disco in Old Town Square as a part of the 11th annual FoCoMX. Festival attendees wore headphones with music options mixed by local DJs Blakeye and Nollij, as well as a top 40 Spotify station April 26. ( Alyssa Uhl | Collegian )

Downtown Fort Collins was flooded with music enthusiasts this past weekend.

From the Aggie Theatre to the rooftop of Illegal Pete’s, the Fort Collins Music eXperiment (FoCoMX) presented over 300 bands at over 30 venues from April 26 to 27. For the 11th annual festival, venues were packed with approximately 7600 people, including attendees, artists, volunteers and sponsors according to co-founder Greta Cornett.

“Every year we’ve done FoCoMX since year one, the biggest fear internally is that it’s never going to be as good as the year we just had, and every year it gets better for a number of different reasons,” Cornett said. “Last year for year 10 it was just epic. It was amazing, the weather cooperated which is always a challenge in April, so many things went right last year that we were like, ‘I don’t think we’ll ever top it,’ and then last night we were like, ‘Okay, this topped it.’”

https://twitter.com/chapin_jules/status/1121973470961729537?s=19

In addition to hosting over 300 bands, the festival also featured a showing of the 53:14 film festival.

Jesse Nyander, creative director of New Trash Media and a participant in 53:14, said the screening went well and he hopes that more people come to screenings like 53:14 at FoCoMX to support the film community in addition to musicians.

“Regardless of what song was playing or what the video was like, there was just humongous support from everyone that was there and from other filmmakers,” Nyander said. “Afterwards everyone was like, ‘Oh I loved what you did there,’ and we just nerd-ed out with each other. I think that’s really important to do as a growing community.”

https://twitter.com/chapin_jules/status/1122028636058595328

Cornett, who also performed in multiple bands at FoCoMX, said that seeing the future generation of music in the younger performers was one of her favorite parts of the event.

“That’s part of the fun of FoCoMX, people come out and they’re excited about their community and their scene, and I think that’s important, and I feel like all the performers, all the musicians that perform through the weekend feed off that energy,” Cornett said. “You see some of the best shows ever that you’ll get from local bands at FoCoMX. It’s just really cool and really special.”

Julia Trowbridge can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on twitter @chapin_jules.